filling with color.

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

filling with color.

Post by trucks1948 »

I am using Corel Draw x 5.i have trouble when i fill with color.The complete closed loops fill fine,but when i have a line that isn't closed the color doesn't fix around it right.Am i doing something wrong?Thanks Jim
Sampson Jones

Re: filling with color.

Post by Sampson Jones »

No it will only fill objects . You can use "convert line to object to create an object , then it will fill. Straight lines will not fill
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Using the fill is a great way to see if your objects are actually closed or open. Open objects won't fill or don't fill correctly. What you need to do is to make sure that all the nodes are closed (connected) to form a closed object, then it will fill correctly. An easy way to do this is to select the object, then select the node tool, then highlight all the nodes in the object and then click the "join' icon on the top menu bar and it will connect all the nodes that are not already connected. This works 90% of the time. The other 10% it will re-create the object by joining nodes that are very far away from each other messing up your object. If that happens, then hit the undo but at least it will show you what nodes are not connected and you can zoom into that area and manually connect/join them.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

If you are not concerned if all the lines are connected and only want a visual appearance you can go under the tools header and select customization then document and then general. There is a check off box for filling open curves. This only changes the existing document. there is a previous screen that will allow the changes to affect all the following documents.
trucks1948

Post by trucks1948 »

I have attached an example of what i an trying to describe.Is there any way to fill around the interior lines?
Attachments
scooby do.jpg
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

That file looks likes it's messed up.

Try this one.

Keith.
Attachments
SCOOBY DOO.dxf
(168.69 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

Is this what you are looking for?
Attachments
scoobee.dxf
(307.69 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

The reason you are getting funky fills with the scooby is because all of the lines are combined into the same single drawing or object. So when it fills, it tries to fill everything from node to node....even the single lines in the center of the object that don't connect to anything. If you want to fill the scooby all by itself, you can break the object apart (select all items, then select Arrange -> Break Apart). This will separate the internal single drawn lines from the scooby outline. Once broken apart, you should be able to fill the scooby outline full and the internal single lines/shapes will be left on top.

If by chance all of the other lines dissapear, don't freak out....they are just behind the scooby outline object. To make sure they are actually there, just un-fill the scooby object and you should see them. To fix that issue, just select all the single lines (not the scooby outline) and then press ctrl+page up and that will move them to the top above the scooby outline and they will be visible again. You can also select the scooby outline and press ctrl+page down and that will move the outline to the back or bottom of your drawing.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Ah Gamelord, I always get excited when I see you posting something about Coreldraw. You have educated me once again, so thank you very much.

I never knew what caused that problem, saved in my Coreldraw education archives.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”