DXFTool

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: DXFTool

Post by 762frmafr »

I'm with you. I have X6 and X5 and have never seen what all the fuss was about with this Macro. can someone please post pictures illustrating the difference in the final product?
jemmyell
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jemmyell »

Hi,

I am James Leonard the author of this and other tools for CNC and laser cutting for CorelDRAW.

The biggest advantage of either DXFTool (Pro or Std) is that it outputs arcs, not just many small line segments. I would like to see the unconnected nodes if I could. I am always working to improve these tools.

what version of DXF are you using for the X6 export?

What controller software are you using? If you are getting good cuts then it must be doing some smoothing since DXF files with many small lines generally don't cut very well. Artistic CNC may be acceptable but dimensional parts, especially with circular profiles may be a problem.

Did your artwork originate as a DXF file? If so it may not have any curves and may be many small lines to begin with. I cannot improve these files. Both DXF tools were designed for use with native CorelDRAW files. It is my opinion that art should never be saved in a DXF format since this frequently results in a loss of all curve information.

I would love to have a dialog about this and my other tools. More information can be had at http://www.CorelDRAWTools.com - you can contact me directly though the contact form.

-James Leonard
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

I am new to this also this is what I got and I don't even know what I am doing . but I can see a difference with dxf tool
the nodes are evenly placed
first dxf is dxf tool
second is corel quick trace
someone with experience could do much better I am sure.
open in sheet cam to see the difference
Attachments
cirle dxf tool.dxf
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
cirle test.dxf
(48.13 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
jemmyell
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jemmyell »

Hi,

If you are getting curves in a DXF then SheetCAM needs to be reading splines. I was unaware that it did that. I do think the AutoCAD 2014 format exports splines which most small shop CNC software can't import, they are usually limited to a R12 DXF which is what I support.

Can you email me that test DXF at the email address we were chatting on earlier?

-James
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

you are correct
I don't know what I am doing . the way I did it. dxf tool came out better.
after talking to James and figuring what I did wrong corel came out better.

THANKS to you and James I learned a lot today.
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
jemmyell
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jemmyell »

Hi,

Well it seems that if you have a full copy of CorelDRAW X6 and the latest SheetCAM TNG the DXFTool may no longer be useful for this configuration.

That still leaves the Home and Student version which has no DXF export at all and a lot of other software that does not import splines.

Thanks for increasing my knowledge of this important area.

-James
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

In the early days when I was deciding whether to use the free Inkscape or buy Coreldraw, it was pretty much DXFTOOL that gave me reason to buy Coreldraw + DXFTOOL.

I'm still happy with the decision I made.

And James you seem like a gentleman and a very fair person to deal with.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

He,is
I second that.
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
jemmyell
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jemmyell »

Hi Beefy,

Nice to see you here.

I do believe in honesty and good customer service. I never try to sell a DXFTool Pro if the Std is all someone needs.

As you know I never ask someone to buy my tools again if they need to reinstall or move to a new computer.

I do hope that DragonCNC will offer a good integrated solution for all sheet type CNC. The woodworking / inlay edition is in final beta and the plasma edition is right behind it now.

-James
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Ha ha, Hi James,

seems like you remember me from the heated discussion with Jeff Harrison from Macromonster.

Well since that discussion I've often gave a thumbs up about you and your product, and told people to buy direct from your website.

Can't say I did the same for the other guy, he left me with a BIG chip on my shoulder.

Nice to see you here.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
cutterguy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by cutterguy »

I also having trouble getting good results from Corel Draw X6. The DXF tool makes a huge difference however there is other problems with that file then. The DXF tool makes the file a fair bit smaller and the curves are truly rounded not made with small straight lines. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong judging by the 2 attached pictures? The DXF tool must "open" some of the lines so that SheetCam does not put in the correct curf offset.
Attachments
without dxf tool
without dxf tool
with dxf tool
with dxf tool
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I have a lot to learn with Corel x6 to, I find it does a very good job especially when using 'reduce nodes' before export to dxf, I find the best export version is the Autocad 2008-13, using the other versions doesn't do as well going into Sheetcam.

The settings in Sheetcam cam options can help with drawing import, I changed detail reduction error from .02mm to .2mm
Clip.jpg
Clip.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
jemmyell
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jemmyell »

Hi Cutterguy,

I would love to see your CDR file. I am always trying to improve my products. You can contact me on my website:

http://www.CorelDRAWTools.com

-James Leonard (DXFTool author)

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”