Corel DXF issues

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
dtdetail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Corel DXF issues

Post by dtdetail »

I've been using autoCAD Inventor to create some assembly's because its so much easier for me to make parts. Art not so much, but dimensional stuff, its great.

To get parts from 3D to 2D you just have to right click the face you want>>export face as>>choose dxf or dwg>>save.

BUT, I load these files on my usb, take it out to my plasma computer, and then when I try to open them up in coreldrawX7, I get "unrecoverable error" and everything crashes.

So, I tried opening them up in inkscape, this doesn't work either.

Then tried converting them to SVG's using a website, but the SVG's produced bad. As in what should be a square, is 4 separate cuts, and i can't for the life of me get them to join. Also, every curve has a bunch of little pie cuts out of it. No idea why.

If anyone has experience with with this problem, or best case scenario knows how I can easily get the dxf's and dwg's from Inventor to my ancient computer running Coreldrawx7 without crashing, your assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inventor exporting issues

Post by adbuch »

Ryan - are you saving as dxf or dwg? You should be able to export as dxf and then import to CorelDraw, Inkscape, etc. Post one of your exported dxf files so we can have a look.
Thanks,
David
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Is inventor allow you to export as a svg or provide you with different versions of dxf to save as? If you post your file I will happy to see if I can do anything with it, I use Corel a lot.
dtdetail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dtdetail »

I'll post them when I'm back home, but I've tried exporting as dxf's and dwg's. Those are my only 2 options.
dtdetail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dtdetail »

Attached are the dxf I exported, as well as the svg I converted it to using a website.
When dragging and dropping the dwg onto here I get an error.
TABLEBASEPLATE.dxf
(262.59 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
TABLEBASEPLATE.svg
(6.74 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

dtdetail wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:17 pm Attached are the dxf I exported, as well as the svg I converted it to using a website.
The dxf imports fine for me. I have added dimensions for reference.

David
import 1.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Your svg imports fine for me as well.
David
import 2.jpg
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

dtdetail wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:17 pm Attached are the dxf I exported, as well as the svg I converted it to using a website.
Sorry you were unable to attach your DWG. I think we have that fixed now if you want to give it another try :Like
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Ok, initially I had an issue opening the DXF in Corel, the outer rectangle was missing. So what you need to do is when you open this DXF in Corel be sure to turn off "Auto Reduce Nodes" when you go to open it and the "Import AutoCAD File" options box pops up. See image below. Opens perfect for me when that feature is turned OFF
Nodes.PNG
Nodes.PNG (20.91 KiB) Viewed 2822 times

My result on screen

Corel.PNG
dtdetail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dtdetail »

Plasmanewbie,
I don't get far enough to modify the node reduction.
this error message pops up before I see anything else and then crashes.
sounds like a problem with my computer.
IMG_6137.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

This seems to be a common error when attempting to import dxf files to early versions of CorelDraw (x6, x7, etc.). One suggestion that seemed to work for some was to convert the dxf to pdf file first (or save as pdf from Inventor) and then open with CorelDraw. There are also different versions of dxf files, and not all will import equally depending on the program. Instead of dxf r14, perhaps try exporting as one of the earlier version (dxf r13, etc. ).

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ok, I fired up one of my older computers to use my older CorelDraw X7 version. Your svg imports fine. Your dxf gives the error message. If I convert your dxf to pdf and then import to CorelDraw x7, it works fine. My conclusion is that there is no problem with your computer, rather the dxf format you are attempting to import is not compatible with your version of CorelDraw.

David
svg to CorelDraw x7.jpg
dxf to CorelDraw x7.jpg
pdf to CorelDraw x7.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Also, as plasmanewbie pointed out, the result of importing your dxf to a more current version of CorelDraw will depend on the status of the "Auto-Reduce nodes" box. Since you are using an older version, this most likely does not apply to you. However, there are many different dxf versions, so if Inventor allow try saving as dxf R13, dxf R11, etc. to see if any of these older versions are compatible with your older version of CorelDraw.

David
cd 2.jpg
cd 1.jpg
dtdetail
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dtdetail »

adbuch wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:49 am Also, as plasmanewbie pointed out, the result of importing your dxf to a more current version of CorelDraw will depend on the status of the "Auto-Reduce nodes" box. Since you are using an older version, this most likely does not apply to you. However, there are many different dxf versions, so if Inventor allow try saving as dxf R13, dxf R11, etc. to see if any of these older versions are compatible with your older version of CorelDraw.

David

cd 2.jpg
cd 1.jpg

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated.
adbuch you're right. x7 wont import any dxf's that are from new solidworks or inventor exports. There is not a way to modify the dxf type/version when exporting 2d face's either.

I DID however find a half decent online converter to modify my "new" dxf's to Svg's and they work fine.

Very sorry for the late response on this, the canadian revenue agency suddenly decided to come after me for 10K because I bought a house in 2019 and for some reason they waited 4 years to call bs?? very stressful and time consuming last few days, hopefully ill have some free time this weekend to look more into this / figure out if I want Sigmanest.

Thanks
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Glad to hear you've resolved your problem. Inkscape is free and will open a dxf file and save as svg as well. Plus Inkscape has the added benefit of allowing you to edit your file to reduce node count before export as svg.

David

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”