Can't use shape tool after 3D rotate

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
SMilligan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Can't use shape tool after 3D rotate

Post by SMilligan »

I used the 3D rotate tool on an object but now I can no longer use the shape tool to continue editing the object. I tried converting to curves but that didn't work. I have never used the 3D rotate tool before so am I missing a finishing step or two? Thanks!
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Can't use shape tool after 3D rotate

Post by sonbakler »

Not familiar with the 3D rotate function and don't know what the purpose of it would be for 2D plasma designs. What are you using that tool for? I am guessing it is changing your design to a different entity that can no longer be edited like a 2D design would be. Let us know what your trying to do and upload your design if you can.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

What version of Corel Draw is this. I use v2019 and have never heard of a 3D rotate feature.

I just Googled and could not find any reference to this either.

Can you upload a simple file that illustrates this problem.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
SMilligan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SMilligan »

I am using CorelDraw 2021 and designing a metal sign with a steam train. I used the 3D rotate tool (found under Effects and then under 3D effects) to horizontally rotate some of the rail cars so that they appeared to be disappearing into the distance. Microsoft Powerpoint has a similar 3D rotate option for picture effects which is why I tried it in CorelDraw. It worked as I hoped, but it could be there is a more appropriate tool that could give me the same effect while remaining an editable 2D design (I'm a newbie to graphic design and a newbie to CorelDraw too).

I have attached my design; the cars in red have been rotated. Thanks for the help!
Attachments
Steam train with rotation.cdr
(189.01 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Can't open that one because it's a higher version than mine.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Same here, can't open. I think if you save it as a .cmx file we can open with older versions, I am using 2018. I had a look and do not have a 3D rotate in my Effects dropdown but if I were trying to add perspective in my Corel 2018 I would use the Add Perspective feature found in my Effects dropdown and I would still have the ability to edit the design with the shape tool if needed. Do you have Add Perspective? Maybe they replaced it with 3D Rotate and ruined a good thing, that would be very CorelDrawish of them and would not surprise me. They need to stop hiring educated people and start hiring smart people...there is a difference.
SMilligan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SMilligan »

I found Add Perspective in Corel 2021 under Object and this is what I should have used instead of 3D Rotate. Thanks sonbakler!
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

SMilligan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:49 pm I found Add Perspective in Corel 2021 under Object and this is what I should have used instead of 3D Rotate. Thanks sonbakler!
Ah, right on! Glad I could be of some help to someone here after all the help I have received :Like

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”