Switch from DraftSight

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted to this topic.
ColoradoWayne
Elite Contributing Member

Switch from DraftSight

Post by ColoradoWayne » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:51 pm

DraftSight (AutoCad clone) is changing things up soon so it's time to find a new drawing program. Based on what I've read in this area, it seems most folks are pretty happy with Corel Draw. Anyone have any recommendations or cautions with this switch? I have an extensive library of dxf files and don't see myself converting them to svg unless they need modification. Guess I will need an external dxf to svg converter though, right? Anyone made this switch that can offer any insight? Thanks.
Wayne
LDR Motion Systems 4 x 4 water table
Hypertherm Powermax 65

djreiswig

Re: Switch from DraftSight

Post by djreiswig » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:57 pm

I guess you could always pay them $99/ year and keep using Draftsight.
I'm in the same boat. Not gonna happen for the little I use it. Maybe qcad. It's still free at the moment.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

ColoradoWayne

Post by ColoradoWayne » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 pm

Yup, not worth the money to me either. I see CorelDraw is less than $100 on ebay for a lifetime license. I'm playing with the free trial version and finding it seems to like to save everything in splines which does not work for me. I've played with FreeCad and so far not thrilled with that. I don't mind paying $100 or so, but then leave me alone - no forced updates or subscriptions.
Wayne
LDR Motion Systems 4 x 4 water table
Hypertherm Powermax 65

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:47 am

Agree with your last sentence. I think they used to offer a one time purchase version, but it looks like subscription is the only way now. It's a shame they're killing the free version that we're using now. I would be happy if the latest free version would just keep working. I don't have any use for all of the 3d stuff, but it looks like that is where everyone is going. Hopefully it backfires on them and people go elsewhere.

A friend used TurboCad for a while before we found Draftsight. I think I've seen old versions on eBay.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”

Easyscriber engrave attachment for Hypertherm plasma cutters.