Needle Scaler for removing plasma slag?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jim fry
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Needle Scaler for removing plasma slag?

Post by jim fry »

Has anyone ever tryed to use one of the Needle scaler for removing slage on the back of there parts? if not I will go buy one and try it out.
here is a pictures of one.
Attachments
4320.jpg
(5.97 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Needle Scaler for removing slag?

Post by admin »

Hey Jim

I have one of these mounted to my workbench and I made a hold down with flatbar that bolts to the bench over top of the needles to flatten them out close to the end. This makes for a wider effective deslagging area. I simply plug the air in, set my part on the bench and move it across the needles around the entire outside of the part. Works good on plasma cut steel parts 3/16" or thicker. Does not work on plasma cut stainless steel or aluminum.

What also works well is a 10" length of 3/8 drill rod or hardened steel with a file handle on one end. Simply run it back and forth along the cut edge and it is a fast and effective means of removing the dross or plasma slag. I find myself using this method more, it's fast, quiet, and easy assuming your parts are cut well.

admin
ce offroad
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Needle Scaler for removing plasma slag?

Post by ce offroad »

I have one, it works well on parts with alot of small lettering. I use many different ways to remove slag,I just find what works the best for each job.
flamethrower
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Needle Scaler for removing plasma slag?

Post by flamethrower »

I use one laid down at a little lower angle than shown in the photo to target just the edge as not to hammer the surface of the plate.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”