torch quitting

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
lostn50s
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

torch quitting

Post by lostn50s »

Hi gang;

I have a new Cutting Edge plasma table running a new Thermal Dynamics A80. Everything seems to work fine as long as I am cutting smaller projects that cut within under about 2 minutes of cutting. If I am doing larger program cutting that is more intricate and time consuming the torch will quit cutting but after about 2 minutes...the program will continue and complete but the torch just quits cutting. Have tried a number of ideas but nothing is working for me...any ideas would be appreciated. My guess is that the problem is in the A80 but right now I am stumped.
When you make everything idiot proof, all your left with is idiots :)
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: torch quitting

Post by WyoGreen »

You say the torch quits cutting. Does that mean the plasma flame quits, & the air quits also?
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Is your air pressure dropping too much? Do you have an arc okay input from the plasma to the controller? If so, the code should stop when the plasma arc cuts out.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
lostn50s
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by lostn50s »

WyoGreen wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:03 pm You say the torch quits cutting. Does that mean the plasma flame quits, & the air quits also?
The plasma flame quits, air still running and program keeps running as if the flame is still there.
lostn50s
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by lostn50s »

djreiswig wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:03 pm Is your air pressure dropping too much? Do you have an arc okay input from the plasma to the controller? If so, the code should stop when the plasma arc cuts out.
I have a high end air system in my shop for bodywork...lots of air storage and quality filtering.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

lostn50s wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:37 pm Hi gang;

I have a new Cutting Edge plasma table running a new Thermal Dynamics A80. Everything seems to work fine as long as I am cutting smaller projects that cut within under about 2 minutes of cutting. If I am doing larger program cutting that is more intricate and time consuming the torch will quit cutting but after about 2 minutes...the program will continue and complete but the torch just quits cutting. Have tried a number of ideas but nothing is working for me...any ideas would be appreciated. My guess is that the problem is in the A80 but right now I am stumped.
Sounds to me like you might be running out of air. Does your plasma cutter show any error codes on the front panel when this occurs? I would suggest monitoring the air pressure with an inline gauge mounted directly to the air inlet port of your plasma cutter. Check to see if your pressure drops below the recommended pressure for your cutter when this "quit cutting" problem occurs.
David
lostn50s
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by lostn50s »

I'll install a different gauge tomorrow and video it while running. Thanks for the ideas guys...any more ideas as I would certainly try anything at this point. I've got 240 gallons of storage air and running a 33cfm compressor, I don't think I'm running out of air but an air issue would make sense for the issue. Maybe an air issue within the A80 regulator.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Sounds like you should have sufficient air supply but you never know, could be a plugged filter somewhere down the line.

First thing I would do is look for an error code indicated by an LED on your air pressure LED bar when the arc goes out.

Do you see an lit up LED on the LED bar?
lostn50s
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by lostn50s »

Got a rep from my supplier coming this week to see if he can troubleshoot it...hopefully it will get resolved finally. Thanks :)

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”