Does the torch affect cut quality?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
ma00aem
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Does the torch affect cut quality?

Post by ma00aem »

Hi!
I have a cheap HF plasma cutter that i have mounted on a self-made CNC-table. The HF ignition is so bad that i had to make the pierce height lower than the cut height lower than the cut height. So i really need a better plasma cutter with pilot arc. I will probably buy a cheap Chinese one because of this is just a hobby project.

But my question is what type of torch should i be looking for? P80? Is there anything special to look for to get good cut quality
I will hock up the plasma to a LinuxCNC board and run it with a THCAD THC.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Does the torch affect cut quality?

Post by acourtjester »

You need a non-HF torch which is also the type of plasma unit you need, and it is better to get one with a CNC control connecter built in for the signals. This connector should have torch fire, Arc OK, and Arc voltage signals. The LinuxCNC and THCAD-10 for THC works but is a real learning experiences. I have mine working but it was a long trip and it still is not perfect. Members here and the LinuxCNC site were a great help, I would not have gotten this far without them. You need to have a Linux operating PC and then select the CNC related package you plan to use that is for Plasma. I am not saying don't use linuxCNC just have an open mind.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Re: Does the torch affect cut quality?

Post by adbuch »

I agree with Tom, you definitely want to buy a plasma cutter with non-HF start. Since the Hypertherm 45xp is out of your price range, I would take a look at some of the plasma cutters the guys on the Langmuir forum are using. I think some of these cutters are in the $400 to $500 price range and may suite your needs quite well.

David

https://forum.langmuirsystems.com/

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”