cut quality has degraded - no belt slipping? pulley issue?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
kit.mae00
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

cut quality has degraded - no belt slipping? pulley issue?

Post by kit.mae00 »

Hi everyone,

I need some help with figuring out my cut quality problem(s). I called Plasmacam a few months ago and they helped me troubleshoot a major issue which seemed to have resolved for the most part but my overall cut quality doesn't seem to be where it was. Originally, it appeared my problem was due to belt slipping which seemed to have fixed the first issue of cuts being made inconsistent to my drawing (or appeared to have moved around on the table vs the drawing) but I feel like it's still a slight issue?

Now my newest issue that I can't seem to fix is inconsistent thicknesses and the first cut doesn't always end or line up with the final cut. I'm also experiencing a blow out which never seemed to be an issue either. I've rechecked all my settings, I adjusted my pierce height, cut height, cut speed, etc... I can't seem to figure this one out. I just replaced my grates which I thought could have been the issue but evidently, it's not. I haven't changed the pulley but I've checked it and that doesn't seem to be out of sync. I fine tuned my cut speed about a year ago and was able to get very clean consistent lines (I'm still cutting the same stuff --16ga/80ipm/30amps for straight lines & letters/standard consumables -- everything used to turn out really nice so I don't know if it's a speed problem. I checked all the gears and greased them to make sure nothing is caught but so far it's been fine! I'm running out of ideas of what to check and fix.

Oh, one last thing, it also appears to be cutting at an angle. It seems to be pitched towards to back of the table. I'm using a hand torch and we've adjusted it to try and make sure it's level but there's just not enough space to fit a level or a square on there to make sure it's at the proper angle (any suggestions or tips would be great).

Running:
Hypertherm 30XP
Plasmacam Design Edge
looks AWFUL!
looks AWFUL!
qc.jpg
qc2.jpg
qc3.jpg
this was cut around 80ipm/30amp & they seemed to turn out near perfect
Attachments
how they used to look
how they used to look
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cut quality has degraded - no belt slipping? pulley issue?

Post by weldguy »

Something has likely come loose and gotten sloppy. Turn your machine on so motors are locked up under power and put your hand on the gantry and torch carriage and wiggle to search for the slop.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

It has been talked about here many times attach an Ink Pen to your torch mount and draw on paper stop wasting metal. When the start of the cut does not match the end of the cut there is a movement problem. How old is your table, When searching Plasmacam with Google I see bolted together tables. Any place you have bolts they can loosen up, this causes wobbling.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
kit.mae00
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by kit.mae00 »

It's about 4years old and bolted together. I'll try the pen trick and check all the bolts. I think you both are right, something has come loose. I just haven't been able to find it yet.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Keep at if you will be happy when you find it, ask other questions if you have them. Not many here can say they never had a problem but with help a solution will be found
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kit.mae00
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by kit.mae00 »

Got it fixed and it's cutting like a dream again :Love A couple of loose screws on both sides of the gantry holding it all tight! :Yay Thank you so much for the kind words and the help.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

happy to help, thanks for the reply may help another member in the future. :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

:Like :Like

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”