setting torch height switch offset

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

setting torch height switch offset

Post by rock4xfab »

what is the proper way to set your switch height( offset) for those that have DTHC I touched off my material zero'd the DRO then slowly brought the torch off the material until I heard the switch click then wrote that number down..

so my code is generally something like this for setting the height command before pierce this off memory i am not at the shop..

z.5
z0.0
z.62
z0
z.19
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: setting torch height switch offset

Post by plain ol Bill »

The way I do it is reference Z. The torch goes down touches the material and continues down until it trips the Z home switch, then the torch raises just enough to clear the switch. This leaves the torch still sitting on top of the material with the Z DRO set at 0.0000. I then jog the Z up until I can just slide a thin piece of paper between the material and the torch tip. Look at your DRO - that is your torch offset amount. Do this several times and average the results.

Home made machine, Sheetcam and Mach3.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

Thanks Bill for the conformation... short of using my Z presetter off the machining center LOL..
My Plasma is a persicion plasma gantry floating Z using CandCNC bladerunner
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

After some more funny cuts I started reading through manuals again... Here is what I have now.. I measured my torch offset with my dial indicator and base. It is .0370" So I then went into the sheetcam post and inserted it in the Post processor Per the instructions.. Then I went into Mach per its instruction and put the same number in the configure Home/Limits for Z. Now my question is I have in Sheet cam under tools all my Peirce and cut heights along with cut speed.When I post, I can red my G-code and it looks good.. BUT I accidently hit a button in mach on the DTC screen labaled cut conditions.. And now the machine fires and Dives into the plate.. I did not realize that the button was a screen link. what is the minimum that has to be put into that screen for this to start cuttin nice again. Prior to this I was clicking the Arc setting and inputing my voltage there and I had REALY Nice cuts other then the torch was still to High and giving me about 20 deg on the edge..
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

I'm sure you already have seen the answer on CandCNC's Yahoo forum. You put the torch offset in Sheetcam or in Mach. One or the other - not both of them.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

plain ol Bill wrote:I'm sure you already have seen the answer on CandCNC's Yahoo forum. You put the torch offset in Sheetcam or in Mach. One or the other - not both of them.
Yep I am goping to empty the mach.. Also can I just remove all the posts from the cut condition button and set my own Arv volts to 90 and be done or do I need all the rest of the stuff in there. I am realy not to concerned with tip saver mode etc.
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

I'm not really sure what you are asking - but if you are asking about the cut parameters in Mach then yes you can enter your own cut volts on screen if you want too.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”