Tired of Proma THC- Thinking of upgrade

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
PlasmaGuy8
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Tired of Proma THC- Thinking of upgrade

Post by PlasmaGuy8 »

Hey guys- new to the group, still learning on my table- 4x8 homebuilt with watertable, Hypertherm 45xd with fine cut tips, 80 gallon compressor with triple filtration.
I use floating machine torch setup. The Proma 150 has been fussy lately. Its cutting nice, on 16 gauge mild steel, but no matter how low i adjust voltage it still rises maybe 1/4" while cutting. Hypertherm book values are used except for thc. They recommend 128 volts, but way too much dross and burnt consumables too fast. I've now dropped it to 80 volts and it still rises up to 1/4", after touch off, pierce height then down to cut height (.06). But very quickly it rises back up and holds that distance.

Frustrating because even though cuts are nice the consumables burn up faster.

I'm looking at the THC sold at Warp9 ($400), since I use their ESS smooth stepper, and upgrading to Mach4 ( currently using Mach 3/sheetcam)

Anyone have any feedback on this thc? Budget is tight right now, don't want to spend $1000+ on another upgrade. There are not a lot of options out there. I'm open to suggestions?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Tired of Proma THC- Thinking of upgrade

Post by weldguy »

Are you using raw or divided voltage? If your too high off the plate at 80v have you tried dropping it to 70v to see if that brings your torch down?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Have you run test to determine what is correct for you setup?? this video show how to test for the correct voltage.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

A move to linuxcnc's Plasmac could be done for $69 if you use your existing BOB and a Mesa THCAD-10 (requires 2 spare inputs)
Or replacing the ESS and BOB with a Mesa 7i96 ethernet board plus THCAD-10 would set you back $188 in total
There is a LInuxcnc-PLasmac section on this forum with more info.

Plasmac will manage your Proma 150 but will get better results with e THCAD.
PlasmaGuy8
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by PlasmaGuy8 »

weldguy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:57 am Are you using raw or divided voltage? If your too high off the plate at 80v have you tried dropping it to 70v to see if that brings your torch down?
I have tried to lower it down in 10 volt increments, doesn't seem to be making a change. I'll try it at 70 today and see if it helps;.
PlasmaGuy8
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by PlasmaGuy8 »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:18 pm Have you run test to determine what is correct for you setup?? this video show how to test for the correct voltage.
My Proma 150 did not come with the same controller set up as your Price. I love the instruction to run the mechanical (which I have done), then turning off the enable on the THC to get voltage. I will try that today. Great information thanks! I have a similar setup- all my controllers/computer are on a rolling unit separate from the plasma table.

Wow! Thanks so much. By following your lead, I realized my cut voltage on the Proma 150 was only 57-60 volts. The Hypertherm book calls out 128 volts and I had taken it down to 75, but I was scared to take it much lower. The only difference is that with Mach3 and the Proma set up, I cannot turn off the ports or it stops after the pierce. I left those on and only had to turn off the THC button in Mach 3 to get the voltage setting. The lines are much tighter with the fine tip now. I wish they still sold that Price CNC THC - I like your setup!
Many thanks!
Last edited by PlasmaGuy8 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You will need to create a chart for different thickness and amps, then you just plug those numbers in the Proma.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”