machine torch issues

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
ezryder173@yahoo.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

machine torch issues

Post by ezryder173@yahoo.com »

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum and let me say this community has a wealth of knowledge and has been very helpful. I am having some issues with the plasma cutter that I use with my CNC table. I have a thermal dynamics cutmaster 52. I just bought the SL100 machine torch and it isn’t cutting through the material all the way and sometimes it will pierce and then the arc completely goes out. I have tried slowing my cut speed down to way under what is required for the material (1/4” mild steel), triple checked air pressure and moisture content, changed start cartridge, electrode, tip, etc., still no luck. I hooked my hand torch to the cutter and fired it with the CNC software that I have and it cut like butter so I’m confident it has nothing to do with the table or software. I talked with thermal dynamics and they told me to measure resistance across a couple points, everything checks out perfect. Anybody have any advice before I go through all the hoops of sending the machine torch back to get a replacement?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: machine torch issues

Post by weldguy »

Do you get any error lights on the front of your 52 when this happens?
ezryder173@yahoo.com
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ezryder173@yahoo.com »

Yes. Sorry, i should have included that in my original post. I am getting the 85psi warning light, which is "shorted torch" according to the manual.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Shorted torch error. Ok have you tried cleaning the beveled edge on the spring loaded plunger of the start cartridge with a ScotchBrite pad? This is the beveled edge that fits inside the top of your nozzle, they can stick together and cause this issue. Clean both and see if it works better.

Is the lead length the same from your hand torch to your machine torch?

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”