cheap plasma cutter

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

cheap plasma cutter

Post by AZ_guy »

I have a CNC 4x4 table and the table itself is fine but im having a ton of trouble getting decent cuts or consistency out of it. I feel like it might be because of the plasma cutter itself. It has just a cheap colossal Cut 50 attached and doesnt seem to cut well, wont cut completely on anything really and is just all around really sloppy. Ive tried messing with tweaking all the settings I can think of and it doesnt seem to help.

Ive been hand cutting stuff for years and years with my thermal dynamics cutmaster 32 and that has been excellent and never given me any issues. I dont want to try and use the cutmaster on the CNC table because i dont want to modify the torch since their really expensive.

ill try and attach a video so you guys can see what its been doing lately. It goes to start cutting then kind of stutters, makes a weird noise and the computer blacks out for a second till it starts cutting. I feel like the high frequency start is just trashing the computer. Then on top of that the cut quality is complete garbage and just makes a mess, What do you guys think?

thanks for the help guys
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cheap plasma cutter

Post by robertspark »

2nd torch + lead for the cutmaster?
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I have to agree with Robert. Get the SL100V torch and the Automation Interface for you TD
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... kit-9-8311

Once done, This would be similar to my TD A120 in functionality and I really would like a hand torch for it but as you say, they are expensive.

Really though you'd probably spend as much on an Everlast 50 amp machine as you would on the torch and Everlast is no comparison to what you already have! (I had one once)
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Cut 50 is a poor machine..... but it is cost effective.... like using a cold chisel to cut steel plate.....

If you were to use the Cut 50 this for cnc it will cut.... but I think you will be disappointed with the quality of the cut and the aggro hat you will get in order to get it to cut half decent.... and it won't give you a good impression of what cnc + plasma can do for you.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Oh for sure, get rid of the Cut 50 and put your TD to work and stop punishing yourself! Rig it up with the hand torch first to prove you like it and then invest on the machine torch if you want. That high freq will kill your computer fast.
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

thanks for all the replies guys. Ive had nothing but issues with the cut 50 and it doesnt seem to cut anywhere near its rated capacity so im done messing with it. It already fried the computer once. I decided to just order a Hypertherm45 XP. Ive always been really happy with my cutmaster for hand stuff but itll be nice to have the hypertherm too since it has a bunch of cool new features that i didnt even know existed till i started researching a new plasma.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Hmm, so thats long way from a cheap plasma cutter :)
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

Rodw wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:09 am Hmm, so thats long way from a cheap plasma cutter :)
yea I know but its just so cool lol. Plus i feel i got a pretty good deal on the table so i dont mind spending some on the plasma cutter to get it working right.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

AZ_guy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:56 pm thanks for all the replies guys. Ive had nothing but issues with the cut 50 and it doesnt seem to cut anywhere near its rated capacity so im done messing with it. It already fried the computer once. I decided to just order a Hypertherm45 XP. Ive always been really happy with my cutmaster for hand stuff but itll be nice to have the hypertherm too since it has a bunch of cool new features that i didnt even know existed till i started researching a new plasma.
Good call, you won't be disapointed. Be sure to follow the Hypertherm cut speed charts to begin with and you should do very well. Best of luck!!
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

weldguy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:19 am
AZ_guy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:56 pm thanks for all the replies guys. Ive had nothing but issues with the cut 50 and it doesnt seem to cut anywhere near its rated capacity so im done messing with it. It already fried the computer once. I decided to just order a Hypertherm45 XP. Ive always been really happy with my cutmaster for hand stuff but itll be nice to have the hypertherm too since it has a bunch of cool new features that i didnt even know existed till i started researching a new plasma.
Good call, you won't be disapointed. Be sure to follow the Hypertherm cut speed charts to begin with and you should do very well. Best of luck!!
thanks, ill do that.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”