Hypertherm 45 xp cut issues

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
ktkamm
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hypertherm 45 xp cut issues

Post by ktkamm »

Greetings. New to the whole world of plasma cutting. I have a Langmuir table and a 45 XP. I have been having problems getting good clean cuts using the fine tip nozzles on my Hypertherm. I am cutting 14 gauge sheet metal and running it at 45 amps, 200 IPM and using the 220955 deflector. Unfortunately, I have ares where the torch does not cut through and just leave dross and molten metal. I inadvertently purchase aftermarket fine nozzles from Amazon that I thought were made by Hypertherm.I have ordered OEM fine cut tip nozzles and the 220948 shield tip.

I know part of the issue is that the plate does not sit perfectly flat and with this system, there is no ongoing torch adjustment.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I have attached a few photos. The tip hole appears to be off center.

Thanks again,

Kieran
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_25e1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_20fb.jpeg
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm 45 xp cut issues

Post by weldguy »

For sure I would stop using the knock off nozzles from Amazon for anything more than hand cutting. That will help. Also it looks like you may have moisture in your air supply which is the main reason for premature nozzle failure and blowing the hole out on your nozzle like in your picture. Also you may be too close or touching the material during the pierce which can ruin the nozzles quickly also. Be sure your air is clean and dry, be sure your piercing at the proper height and not coming into contact with the material at any time the arc is present.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

I think using fine cuts and no height control is going to be an issue. They can be finicky on a good day.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

That nozzle is shot, once the hole shows any out of round it's had it, likely from piercing too close to the material, like sphurley says you really are going to struggle with no height control, it also looks like those machines pierce and cut at the same height? again that's going to cause problems, also the deflector looks strange is that after market as well?
I use all aftermarket parts and really don't have any problems, mine last just as long as genuine, does depend on where they are from though.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
ktkamm
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ktkamm »

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I am sure this is a loaded question, but I will ask anyway! What would be a reasonable hobby/light production table to look at which would offer height control? Probably somewhere in the 4-6k range. Thanks
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

ktkamm wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:23 pm Thanks for the information and suggestions. I am sure this is a loaded question, but I will ask anyway! What would be a reasonable hobby/light production table to look at which would offer height control? Probably somewhere in the 4-6k range. Thanks
Swifty by SwiftCut
ktkamm
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ktkamm »

Thanks Ironken. Will check it out.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

1. You need to use genuine Hypertherm consumables. 2. You need to use the 220948 shield (not the deflector). 3. Because you do not have height control you need to ensure the metal is perfectly flat and perpendicular to the torch head. 4. Because you have no height control you need to run the cut height at about .080" to .090" off the material.....this will produce more edge angularity, but will save the nozzle orifice from pierce damage. Jim Colt

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”