Hypertherm fine cut question

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
mitchw123456
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Hypertherm fine cut question

Post by mitchw123456 »

So I’ve cut quite a bit with this nozzle and it’s my only fine cut nozzle I have. Everything was fine then randomly my THC started cutting too high. I lowered voltage on THC with no change. Several attempts later still not cutting all the way through and leaving A ton of slag on dross on top. Could this nozzle be the culprit? It looks worn but honestly I’ve cut with worse but still new to this....
Attachments
3034BF7B-CD43-4CC6-A0FC-6446E7E1C543.jpeg
mitchw123456
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Hypertherm fine cut question

Post by mitchw123456 »

Machine is s 45xp with all green lights (no check consumables).
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Any time a nozzle is distorted like that it's not going to cut correctly if at all
mitchw123456
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mitchw123456 »

Old Iron wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 pm Any time a nozzle is distorted like that it's not going to cut correctly if at all
Thanks glad to know I’m not going crazy. I was convinced already but needed reassurance. Thanks again.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Not at all, I think most of us have ran a consumable to the point of failure :oops:
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Old Iron wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 pm Any time a nozzle is distorted like that it's not going to cut correctly if at all
Yup. On critical items (dimensional parts, thicker material, etc), I'll quit using a nozzle once it's starts to "oval" out a bit, or develop a bit of a divot on one side. Initially it just cuts with a bevel or non-symmetrical. By the time it's blown out as bad as the one in the OP, it won't pierce correctly, will leave slag all over the top, blows out a wide kerf with "sloppy" edges, etc. It's because the plasma arc is no longer focused enough to be effective.

IMO, if a "new" nozzle is like shooting a shotgun with a full choke, the nozzle in the OP is like having the same gun with the barrel sawed off to 12"...not gonna get the same results, even though it's the same gun.
Last edited by motoguy on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
mitchw123456
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mitchw123456 »

motoguy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm
Yup. On critical items (dimensional parts, thicker material, etc), I'll quit using a nozzle once it's starts to "oval" out a bit, or develop a bit of a divot on one side. Initially it just cuts with a bevel or non-symmetrical. By the time it's blown out as bad as the one in the OP, it won't pierce correctly, will leave slag all over the top, blows out a wide kerf with "sloppy" edges, etc. IMO, it's because the plasma arc is no longer focused enough to be effective. IMO, if a "new" nozzle is like shooting a shotgun with a full choke, the nozzle in the OP is like having the same gun with an open choke...not gonna get the same results, even though it's the same gun.

Thanks now you’re talking my language!
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

I go entirely by what the cut looks like. If it's good and I mean very good the consumables are good. If its not very good the first thing I look at is consumables! I have never done a good cut with bad consumables but sometimes still make good cuts with so so consumables
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
nordicjack
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by nordicjack »

First thing when near in question, is to put fresh consumable. its the easiest to eliminate as the problem.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”