Powermax 85 wavy cuts

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
MASspray21921
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 85 wavy cuts

Post by MASspray21921 »

Hello everybody, I'm having some trouble getting clean cuts on 1/2 " hot rolled steel.
I am running a powermax 85 with machine torch, sheetcam, with candcnc BladeRunner DragonCut, dthc, feathertouch.
attached are a few pictures of my recent cut, and settings used
Thanks in advance

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 85 wavy cuts

Post by djreiswig »

I cut 1/2 with my 65 amp. Maybe try using 65a consumables and turning down your cutter. Obviously have to adjust speed and voltage. I remember Jim Colt from Hypertherm saying to use the lowest amp process possible. Your plunge rate seems pretty slow. I run mine at 60. And your travel speed seems really slow. I'm sure I run a lot faster than that at 65a. Check the cut charts.

On second thought, I think I'm running in ipm not ips, so I'm not sure how that compares.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
MASspray21921
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MASspray21921 »

Thanks for the reply, I went back and changed my settings to 65a and went ahead and double checked them all with the hypertherm manual.

Ran the cut and still had similar results

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Is your torch vibrating? Is your cut height accurate? Physically measure your cut height with the torch off and turn off the dtch and run a straight line cut and see if the actual voltage reading matches what the book setting is. You may be cutting at the wrong height and may need to adjust the voltage some.
Is your work clamp on the material itself and not just the table. Is your air supply dry? Lots of things to check. Search the forum. You're not the first.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

If your min step distance is too course you will get ridges on thick material. Do you know what your motor tuning values are?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

I appears to be mechanical (rought motion or vibration. Put your hand on the torch lightly as it makes a cut. Closing you eyes helps to focus on the right sense Feel for vibrations and jerky motion. Could also be a bad shield or swirl ring if its not torch vibration or ragged motion. Direct drive motors will have fairly course motion (low Steps per unit number)

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”