To upgrade to 45xp or not?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Fatbastard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

To upgrade to 45xp or not?

Post by Fatbastard »

My question to you all including Jim Colt. Should I upgrade from a 45 to a 45xp? Would I be able to get finer cuts? Mostly art work?

Thank you

Chip
vanweld
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: To upgrade to 45xp or not?

Post by vanweld »

Do some searching around on the forums. Discussion on the 45 vs 45 XP is easy to find. I believe the major difference and benefit to the 45XP is the newer style torch. You can upgrade just the torch and that will allow the use of the fine cut consumables.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

It does have a higher power density (volts X amps), it can also do marking mode plus with argon for a lighter marking.

And there is also the option to add modbus interface to it to control the current directly from the CNC controller on the fly.

It's consumables are the same as the 65/85 with the addition of fine cut..... Yes the duramax torch can be added to the 45 (non xp) but you don't get marking mode, or the addition of modbus / rs485 serial..... Also there is a button on the 45xp machine torches that clear the latched "fault " condition which is created if you change consumables on the 45 (non xp) on the fly and on the 45 (non xp) you have to cycle the power to clear the latched "fault".

To answer your question.... Yes the 45xp will give you finer cuts.... And if you get the rs485 interface you can adjust the current on the fly meaning you can get sharper detail because you don't have to maintain feedrate and have such high acceleration where you have changes in direction..... Note this will require a machine that can change output power on the fly (I don't think most hobby / semi commercial CNC machines can do it on the fly directly via modbus a better way to do this may be external to the motion controller by taking a pwm signal via an Arduino which issues a modbus serial string when the pwm signal changes... Linuxcnc is near real-time so this would not apply, but those via Windows may require some other device to improve the real-time response for the amperage to track the motion (.... This may be possible using the laser pwm signal on uccnc via M10 Pxxx where pxxx defines the power output via own signal and an Arduino type device (teensy?? 3.5/3.6 Faster) monitors the signal and transmits the modbus serial to the pmx 45xp

I just bought a 45 non xp just before the xp was released or I would have got an xp with all machine interfaces :(
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

While the RS485 HYpertherm control option is available on all of the CandCNC controller products , there is not a lot of uses on a 45 Amp machine while cutting that justify the expense. In our system , The settings are done in the CAM and embedded in the code.. While you can do it from the screen it's not even close to real time. The Modbus baud rate is 19K so its no speed demon either . Its much more usable to use it to either do presets or like we do with our "soft pierce" feature on thicker material, to increase consumable life and increase the max pierce thickness . There are a couple of other features like the reporting (in English ) of the error codes , not just the code itself, I would say that on a 45 the feature is a lot harder to justify the expense than it is on larger models where there is a much wider range of cut current settings.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Thanks for that Tom
Fatbastard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Fatbastard »

Thank you for the input!
Chip
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I went from the 45 to the XP, there is no noticeable difference in power, I had some strange compatability issue with my table and the XP, so ended up keeping the XP torch and the old 45.
The duramax torch is a lot better, finecuts are great and 45a parts are far better on thicker steel.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The XP will cut faster, has a "duty cycle" thickness of 5/8" (as compared to the original 45 of 1/2"). It can mark with either argon or air depending on marking quality needed. It is lighter, has a higher duty cycle, comes with a Duramax torch.

If you just have the need to use Finecut consumables for better cust on 10 gauge and thinner, then upgrade your Powermax45 torch to the newer Duramax torch.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Fatbastard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Fatbastard »

Could you provide the part # for torch upgrade. I am looking for that exactly.

Thank you
Chip
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Duramax Machine torch assembly with 25' lead, Hypertherm part number 083255 . Jim Colt
Fatbastard
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Fatbastard »

Is there a way to contact you directly? I have your old E-mail do you still monitor it? I cannot locate anyone with the torch? Hyper therm was of no help.I am thinking the only way is to upgrade to 45xp?
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Do it if you have the money then sell the 45
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

A search of the internet turned up this .pdf file. Take a look at page 4 and you'll that part # listed there.

Steve

http://www.hypermaxonline.com/assets/im ... rmax65.pdf
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
brucer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by brucer »

Look at Indiana Oxygen, I bet they have it..
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

If you aren't in a rush, I will be upgrading from my 45xp with machine torch and cpc to a 65 in about a month. I will be selling my 45xp. It is pristine and has 0 signs of use. The torch looks great as well. The internal coalescing filter gets changed every 90 days if needed or not.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

That torch part number is always in stock at Hypertherm. Hypertherm does not sell direct, never has, so it must be ordered from an authorized dealer. The torch is the exact same Duramax torch that is used on a Powermax65, it will fit the 45, 45xp, 65, 85 and 105 models, if which thousands are shipped every month from Hypertherm! Jim Colt

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”