Getting started: Suggestion for getting the finest cuts?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
westech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Getting started: Suggestion for getting the finest cuts?

Post by westech »

Hello!

New to Plasma CNC. I'm trying to spec out a system. Could anyone suggest a cutter that can achieve the finest cuts? Speed is not an issue. What ever would get the cleanest detail. We will be cutting 3/16" cold Rolled Steel. and some Aluminum.

If not a suggestion, any specs I should be looking at when shopping for a plasma cutter.

Thank you.

Randy
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Getting started: Suggestion for getting the finest cuts?

Post by acourtjester »

Hypertherm 45XP should work just fine for that thickness, now realize the cutting steel and cutting Aluminum are two different processes so the results may be different.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

My recommendation would be Hypertherm. As far as the finest cuts there is a compromise between how fine you want and how much money you want to spend. If detail is more important that cost I would get recommendations from Jim Colt on this forum.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
westech
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by westech »

Thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Best cuts are done with the smallest nozzle orifice and the lowest amperage. Since nozzles are designed to produce their best energy at a particular Amperage (amperage too high will wear the nozzle orifice quickly, too low will create a low density arc and angular cuts and dross). Maintaining cut speed is critical, and even more important is maintaining very accurate torch to work distance (cut height). With an air plasma cutter you will be hard pressed to beat any of the Hypertherm Powermax units from the Powermax45XP to the 65, 85 and 105 models equipped with the Finecut consumables for 10 gauge steel and thinner. For the 3/16" and for all aluminum cutting I would recommend switching (using any of the listed Hypertherm Powermax systems) to the 45 amp shielded consumables. Each of these plasma systems cut thin materials with the same speed and quality. The advantage of the more powerful systems is the thicker cutting capabilities. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”