Cutting aluminium with a hard anodised finish both sides

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Cutting aluminium with a hard anodised finish both sides

Post by AdrianH »

Only hobby stuff, but I had an issue the other day cutting some 3mm aluminium, every now and then I would go from a good cut to part cut and then back again it did not seem to matter about speed, air pressure good etc.

I noticed that I had lots of hard flaky bits floating in the water tray and could only guess it was the remains of the anodising and the flakes were at times sticking and blocking the cut path?

the metal started off as a large blank front panel from a 19 inch equipment cabinet, it just happened to be the correct size that was needed for someone at work.

So just wondering if anyone has cut anodised aluminium before and had similar issues?

Adrian
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutting aluminium with a hard anodised finish both sides

Post by weldguy »

I don't expect the anodizing would have anything to do with your problem as it is only a .001 thick or so typically. I have had the cut path close up behind itself when cutting aluminum and steel before but it was because of a worn nozzle and/or too slow of a cut speed.
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

Fair enough was just a wondering what was going on. It could be to slow as not a professional set-up.

Adrian
Last edited by AdrianH on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

Anodizing does not conduct, how do you have the return clamp connected? Did you grind some anodizing off and attach to that?
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

I just stuck a weight on the aluminium to keep it down on the grate. The clamp is to the table. The pilot arc did not seem to have any issue starting, or at least I did not think it did.
I will probably not use the same plate again for a few years if at all. But thanks to you both it is something to think on.

Adrian

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”