Rounded Inner Corners

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Rounded Inner Corners

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I am having trouble with smaller shapes having very rounded off inner corners. I know that you can't avoid this to a certain extent because of the width of the cut, but it is more excessive than that. Sheetcam shows my actual cut path and, I am getting more of a radius than expected. I am using sheetcam and mach3. Would this be due to low acceleration values in mach or a certain setting in sheetcam? I can't imagine that it is with sheetcam, only due to the fact that it shows me the toolpath, and it doesn't look that rounded off in sheetcam.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Rounded Inner Corners

Post by acourtjester »

yes speed has an effect on corners, also having a bigger kerf what size nozzle are you using.
It would help if you posted the thickness and what speed your using, and plasma unit.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by TrinityFabworks »

My kerf width is .031 inches. I am cutting 16 gauge on 30 amps with a spectrum 625 x-treme at 160 ipm, but right now my acceleration values are low. It is a ballscrew machine and it is on casters (making solid mount leveling feet for it right now). I've got the acceleration values so low because if it is higher, the machine shakes too much due to the casters. I will be able to bump up the acceleration (I believe) once I finish the leveling feet. I know its not ideal, and 160ipm is very slow for 16 gauge, but I get decent cut quality with my thc at the correct settings. I have my thc delay at 1 second so that eliminates it engaging on very small shapes. Are the CV settings in mach3 under the general configuration settings?
bigforkg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bigforkg »

TrinityFabworks wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:55 am My kerf width is .031 inches. I am cutting 16 gauge on 30 amps with a spectrum 625 x-treme at 160 ipm, but right now my acceleration values are low. It is a ballscrew machine and it is on casters (making solid mount leveling feet for it right now). I've got the acceleration values so low because if it is higher, the machine shakes too much due to the casters. I will be able to bump up the acceleration (I believe) once I finish the leveling feet. I know its not ideal, and 160ipm is very slow for 16 gauge, but I get decent cut quality with my thc at the correct settings. I have my thc delay at 1 second so that eliminates it engaging on very small shapes. Are the CV settings in mach3 under the general configuration settings?
What are your acceleration and velocity set at? I ask because Im having the same and get vague answers.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

It is physics

Search centripetal acceleration

Radius = velocity ^2 / acceleration

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”