Harbor Freight Refrigerated Air Dryer Not Working

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Harbor Freight Refrigerated Air Dryer Not Working

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I've been running the hf refrigerated air dryer for a while now for my blast cabinet and for my plasma table. I don't think it is actually getting rid of the water. I'm burning through consumables rather quickly and when I disconnect the air hose on the inlet side, it backsprays a LOT of water! I've heard air being released from the orange air hose twice but that is it. I've never heard it releasing water besides that. Does anyone know how it actually works? Does it hold water until it builds up and then release all at once? why am i getting blasted with water when I take off the hose on the inlet side? Thanks in advance!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Harbor Freight Refrigerated Air Dryer Not Working

Post by djreiswig »

It has a cup that holds the water. When it fills up, a float drains it out. We don't get a lot out of ours at home, but we have one at work that collects a fair amount. Water on the inlet just means your compressor is putting out moist air. Do you get moisture in the filter bowl on your plasma cutter?
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

it sounds like dirt got into the dryer and plugged up something
do you have a basic filter/separator before the dryer?
you should have a filter/separator/regulator before anything connected to the compressor

we have a dryer that the float went bad 10 years ago
i ran a drain hose out and put a valve on it
standard daily shutdown procedure is turn off compressor, drain tank, drain dryer
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

The Harbor Freight air dryers come in various drying capabilities. It may be best to look at the specifications of your unit

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”