finecut on .063 aluminum powermax 85 jd2table

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
metalassassin
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

finecut on .063 aluminum powermax 85 jd2table

Post by metalassassin »

been trying all day to get finecut consumables to work with jd2 table. i have hypertherm powermax 85 and there is no chart for finecut consumables on aluminum so i had read on here to start with steel values and tweak from there. my problem is the lines where not good somewhat wavy my guesss is the panel heats up and warps up and the torch height controller is trying to react but not fast enough i assume.when i switch out to regular 45amp consumables and run at book specs i get decent lines but not great. what am i doing wrong and what kind of edge quality should i expect from .063 aluminum. then in the facebook group for jd2 a guy said that i can't use fine cut on aluminum so am i wasting my time?
Attachments
IMG_2924.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2922.JPG
IMG_2923.JPG
john527
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: finecut on .063 aluminum powermax 85 jd2table

Post by john527 »

I am having the same problem with my plasmacam/hypertherm45 XP why isn't there a specs for fine cut and alum?
Charlie10
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Charlie10 »

I cut .06 aluminum with fine cut on my 45xp fairly often, so I certainly wouldn't say you are wasting your time. I don't know why there aren't specs for it, but I did the same thing you did. I started with the specs for 16ga steel fine cut and tweaked from there. From my experience the cut quality with aluminum is never going to be great, but it should definitely be better than what you have. The biggest pain with thin gauge aluminum is how easily it bows and shifts from the heat. It can cause inaccurate parts or torch collisions and I generally have a much higher scrap rate with it than steel, but it shouldn't cause wavy cuts like that.
I wish I could help more other than to just say it's possible, but I'm not sure. I would say try cutting with less amps, I cut at 45, but sounds like you tried that?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Usually when Hypertherm does not provide a chart for a machine that has charts for other consumables its because its not recommended . You have picked two challenging things a the same time. Fine cut is always harder to do because there are closer tolerances as to cut height and voltage and feedrates. Aluminum also presents a challenge as does cutting fine detail in thin material.

We cut tons of thin aluminum (060 to .12) and plasma is not the method we use.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Per Jim Colt, there are no cut charts for Finecut in AL because it is not a recommended process. Per Jim, the using Finecuts on AL will result in significantly shortened nozzle life. Due to the significantly decreased nozzle life, they do not recommend it, and recommend using the standard 45A consumables instead.

Doesn't mean it can't be done, and that others aren'd doing it. Just means you'll need 1) to figure out the specs yourself (easy enough to do with a straight light cut), and 2) expect to wear out your nozzles faster.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
justfishmetalart
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by justfishmetalart »

Metalassassin
We cut a ton of 063, small stuff like christmas ornaments. Ran out of regular nozzle the other day and use the fine cut nozzle and looks like the cut was the same I have found out that I run my 45 XP at 30 amps and it produces a mighty fine cut at 140 IPM
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Paint Chip »

I ran some .063 Al on my table today and got very good cuts with a fine cut nozzle. I have a water table so no issues with warping used the plain steel cut setting for 16 ga steel even though .063 Al is technically 14 ga. The straight and wide radius curves (>.5") had no dross. Detail between .5 and .1" radius had varying degrees of dross on the back side - some popped off by hand and some did not. The fine detail (radius <0.1" had dross on both sides - the top dross brushed off with my fingers, the bottom dross was tougher and had to be sanded off.

One issue I did notice was that touch offs would depress the Al sheet to different heights, depending on how close the location was to a support rib, which made the initial torch height off a bit. I think extending the length between touch offs in Sheetcam might help this a bit.
PPLLC 4X8 table w 620 ox steppers on 5 axes
Bladerunner CandCNC w/DTHC II
Hypertherm PM85
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Fine cuts are not recommended for use on aluminum by Hypertherm, hence there are no cut charts provided. They build up aluminum spatter very quickly, which tends to cause short nozzle life which does not meet Hypertherm's design specs. We recommend that thin aluminum is cut with the 45 amp shielded process at book specs, do this will create a kerf width that is a little wider than with Finecutts (about .006" to .010" wider), however good quality and excellent consumable life. If you insist on using Finecut….be sure the pierce height is at around .18", that there is adequate pierce delay time so that the pierce is 100% complete before x or y motion, and that you have the arc voltage adjusted so that steady state cuts are at a .06" cut height. If you adjust speed to minimize dross....then you will need to readjust arc voltage until the cut height of .06" is maintained. Wipe off the shield and nozzle periodically and use mig welding anti-spatter spray to minimize aluminum buildup on the shield and nozzle. Running at less than 45 amps will likely not work well as this decreases arc energy density.....essentially creating more dross. A couple of pics of the cuts I get using the 45 amp shielded process:
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Attachments
PlasmaCambuild 017.jpg
PlasmaCambuild 017.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by grindergary »

I cut .064 aluminum all the time. 30 Amp, 200 IPM .06 cut height, no pierce delay and 78 volts. Cuts really nice on straights, very minimal dross on tight corners.
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

I cut .064 aluminum all the time. 35 Amp, 200 IPM .06 cut height, no pierce delay and 78 volts. Cuts really nice on straights, very minimal dross on tight corners.
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
grindergary

Post by grindergary »