Cut height and bevel

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Cut height and bevel

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Hi all,

I have been getting some decent cuts lately in terms of dimensions etc, but I have dramas with getting rid of the bevel in thicker material especially 12mm which I use quite a lot.

Situation. G code seems to be correct on the screen in Mach3. Torch touches off raises to 3.8mm for pierce, delays properly and then lowers to 1.5mm cut height. And this is where it seems to be doing something wrong. I can’t see it on the Mach DRO, but I can see the Z move upwards after it drops to the cut height. The DRO says it is at 1.2mm but really it is much higher. I hit the pause button as it is cutting and turn the torch off, the height of the torch is about 5mm or higher. The DRO then decided to show 5.607mm.

There is no code in the post or on the Mach screen to show this raise in height after getting to designated cut height.

Theory. Perhaps. I have been having some dramas with the DTHCIV card deciding to go into a loop and keep the z down signal activated, over riding the Mach program. I have to push the hard reset button on the card and then reset and re home the Z. My quick theory is that there is something fishy with the card giving it a false voltage signal.

Known things. Z steps per is spot on. Have tested this numerous times. Table and material grounded. G code sees to be fine. Mach read outs show what I want to be seeing in terms of height voltage etc. DTHC responding properly.

I believe that the bevel I have shows the torch is way too high. Thoughts or ideas please. If I can get rid of this bevel that would be BRILLIANT!!!!!
Attachments
8A26066F-A343-4E65-BEA0-B5BF4233B178.jpeg
5B1ED3CD-E859-4FD8-B048-ECA0B7EE6226.jpeg
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Cut height and bevel

Post by plasmartist »

You may check your rules in sheet cam to see if there is a rule set up. That's just an educated guess, I run commandcnc, surely others will chime in. Of coarse I'm assuming you have your voltages for dthc set correctly
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Is the bevel the same direction/shape on all 4 sides of the cut? Just two sides? One side only?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

The DTHC takes over the Z control not Mach after your wait setting in sheetcam. Your voltage is too high. Lower the voltage and the cut height will lower.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

While cutting, the z-height is controlled independently of the g-code by the torch height controller. The torch height controller is basicallly a PID loop that monitors cut voltage and makes the required z height changes to keep the voltage close to your setting. It's not a surprise that your DRO does not know what is going on.

Have you done straight line test cuts with DTHC turned off to see what voltage you are getting when cutting at the proper 1.5mm cut height?
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The DTHC moves the Z independant of MACH (which is way too slow for real time control) then when it finishes the cut its resets the Z DRO using the total of al the Z incremental moves. Its less important what the Z shows while cutting that what the actual gap is WHILE cutting. If its too high then either the voltage coming back from the torch is lower that it should be or the preset volts are wrong for that set of sonsumables and the feedrate on that material
Remember" The higher the torch the Higher the volts. The lower the torch the lower the volts . You cann FORCE voltage you can only set a value you would ike the torch to move up or down to hit.
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

No rules apart from end of cut anti dive things.

With the knowledge of how it works now, perhaps in regards to the stalling and looping of the down signal when I need to reset the DTHC card, that is the card and Mach fighting each other. The bevel is on all sides, the same angle bevel on all sides, one side is inwards and the rest is outwards.

Will lower the voltage a fair bit and see what happens. Out of curiosity, can anybody share their Powermax 45 settings. I know I have set it to the book setting in sheetcam. Actually thinking of that, do I need to load settings in a different place for the DTHC as well as sheetcam tool path settings? So Sheetcam tells Mach what settings it is, but then if the DTHC is a closed loop, do I need to program these settings separately ?

Hi Tom, was typing this as you were replying. So the setting on Mach from the post processor is the right setting? Basically it sets what the DTHC is meant to be reading and then the card takes over and does it’s thing. So I should lower the voltage in the tool settings in sheetcam and see how it all goes?

Thanks again all. Brilliant!!
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Hi guys,

Got to the workshop this afternoon and tried lowering the voltage. The book spec says 130v which is what i had loaded into the tool in sheetcam. I dropped it to 120v amd gave it a go. Much less bevel. I dropped it again to 110v and i got the bevel heading the other way on one part and the hole it cut was a bit tunnelly slanting off. So i will set it to 115v and give it one more blast. Ill take some photos and post up when i get home.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Ben,

myself and quite a few others with Hypertherm cutters have been plagued by this in the past.

One solution I heard of (and will never forget) is to replace the cap O-ring !!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, weird I know. Get a new genuine cap O-ring (not an old hard one) and see if it helps. Several guys have tried it and to their surprise it seemed to do the trick. Please don't get the shits with me if it doesn't work, I'm only repeating what I've heard LOL.

Myself I seemed to get improved results by slowing the cutting speed down. Now whether that was a band aid fix for something else that was wrong I don't know. I haven't done much cutting on thicker stuff for a while.

Search for "bevel" and "lean" on the forum here too.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Hi Keith, I’ll certainly give that a go. I have notices that when it pierces, the sparks always come out one side of the torch, perhaps there is something to the orient thing. Poor machine has been copping a puzzling the last couple of months, especially with the thicker stuff. I’ll be doing some more trial and error adjustments soon on the other material I use.

So far it seems to be working real well at 120v at 510mm/min. Could change it down in speed a little I would be next in trialling.

Accuracy and repeatability has been really spot on. I worked out I was about 3 steps per off in my motor tuning so that has helped heaps. I do have a minute bit of backlash somewhere between the belt drive reduction and the pinion meshing with the rack. A motor and drive upgrade is planned in the near future. I will be going for Clearpath Servos with planetary reduction drives and the rack and pinion will go from a Mod 2.0 straight cut arrangement to a mod 1.0 or 1.5 helical setup. I will also get a much better arrangement of tensioning the pinion to the rack. Should be pretty bloody good.

A couple of pictures. A few of the edge quality of the different speeds etc i tried. The dross I left on mostly, but it peels off with my hand pretty easily.
110v @510mm/min
110v @510mm/min
115v @510mm/min
115v @510mm/min
120v @510mm/min
120v @510mm/min
Before I made the adjustments
Before I made the adjustments
FA20ED29-750B-43BE-AD27-12A6927FCEF2.jpeg
After adjustments. Much less bevel.
After adjustments. Much less bevel.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Now, that last one looks really sexy (no I'm not talking about your hand).
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

It’s a great result! Just got to fix the backlash and I reckon it will be finally on point to take the business to more customers to get their work. I’m currently doing some plates for an engineering shop for their architectural brackets etc. there are 4 other workshops around my area who do a lot of architectural stuff and need simple mounting plates made up. I’m pretty happy with this edge quality, fix the tables ability to cut a decent hole and I’m off.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Straight line cut tests are your friend...

I have found that if you cut at the right height and at the right speed (book specs) and you aren't getting good cuts, then something else is wrong. For me it is normally the electrode that is messed up and causing the arc to do weird things, but I would also look at air pressure, swirl ring, nozzle, yes even the o-ring.

I use my table to cut a lot of thicker stuff (1/2" to 3/4") and a standard taper for a plasma arc is about 2 degrees. That means the best that you will do on 12mm is 0.42mm larger on the bottom of the part per side.

I am still learning how to get good holes in think material. The best that I have found so far is to put the holes on a separate layer and cut them with the DTHC turned off and the Feed speed set to about 60% of book speed. (Yes, this is one time where you will want to reduce the speed)
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
Mac
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mac »

I found this helpful, you might as well.
Attachments
holepresentation.pdf
(701.55 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

One other thing others haven't mentioned as of yet is which electrodes you're using. I have used a slew of import electrodes and ultimatley switched back to genuine. a couple months back I stared using copper plus electrodes and absolutely love them. In my opinion the copper plus makes cleaner cuts than standard electrodes.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

a side note, from the pictures and the amount of slag it looks like you're running your water level a bit high. The reason I mention this is because it can harden your steel and make it brittle, not something many people want in a bracket. But I agree that you seem to have your dthc settings dialied in quite nicely now.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”