Help! Marking....Good and Bad

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
jawslandshark
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Help! Marking....Good and Bad

Post by jawslandshark »

Let me say thanks to Hypertherm for the marking consumables I got at FABTECH. But now I have emptied a 200 bottle of argon and lost an entire evening trying to make this work. I was super excited when my first letter looked perfect, then it got worse from there, misfire, misfire, cut, 0-30 code and so on. Now I must say even using my Powermax 85 I had some great results but something is going on with using argon, if I mark one 2 inch letter then I pass the test, going for two letters in a file is a no go. I am using a Prest-0-lite inert gas regulator set at 120 PSI, seems to provide good volume and never drops below 100 PSI while cutting. After one letter, it moves, touches off, fires then stops, throws code, switch to regular air and no problems? At this point I don't know what I am doing, I even tried using my gouging consumables with argon and same thing, then switch to regular air and everything is back to normal.

If I can solve the argon issue then marking with the Powermax 85 is going to work perfect. I was just about to hook up another cylinder of argon and try my fine cuts at marking but thought I would ask the experts here first. Maybe it's my regulator or maybe this is impossible, any help is appreciated.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help! Marking....Good and Bad

Post by motoguy »

Marking with a PM85? I'm interested, too.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The marking consumables were designed for the Powermax45 XP. The 45 XP has the ability to go down to 10 amps...and also reduces gas flow and post flow to reduce consumption when using argon. The marking quality between about 10 and 15 amps is great with argon, and still pretty good with air.

The marking nozzle will fit in the Duramax torches as used on the Powermax65, 85 and 105 systems, but these systems cannot go low enough on amperage to get decent marking. The Powermax65 has a minimum output of 20 amps, the 85 and 105 a minimum of 25 Amps.

The best marks you could get with the 85 would be at minimum amperage, put the mode selector switch in the gouge mode, run the torch height at about .160" off the material (the arc voltage height control will likely be in the 50 to 60 volt range I'm guessing) and speed at about 250 to 300 ipm. No guarantees on mark quality with anything but the 45 XP...as it was designed to mark!

Note that the error codes when trying to restart after the first mark....likely have to do with incorrect plasma gas pressure during postflow....it may not be allowing the starting process (blowback electrode) to get back in contact with the nozzle. Running in gouging mode may help, you could also try running in manual air mode and set the plasma air pressure to the minimum that the system will allow. Again, no guarantees unless you put that nozzle in a Powermax45 XP!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
jawslandshark
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jawslandshark »

Jim I was getting some great results based on other marking pictures I have seen, overall I would say better than just decent. I was running in gouge mode, 25 amps, about .10 standoff, and 160 IPM, I tried so many differnt things but this is close.

I will reduce air pressure out of the cylinder, I did have machine in manual mode for the pressure and had reduced it all the way. I will have some more time during the holiday to test more.

I think you are correct on something to do with the incorrect gas pressure during post flow and the blowback electrode, it may just be finicky with the argon. If I can't get this working on the 85 I might just have to buy a 45 XP just for marking, I am liking the look and will be a better option over pneumatic marking.

Thanks for the reply.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I think the people that are having issues with pneumatic marking have not fine tuned the process. Using air pressure as down force is just like beating your head against the wall. (IMO)It's like you are milling the marks into the plate, and not gliding smoothly over it.. I get such great results, not even looking at going to the argon plasma marking setup,and all the extra cost for gas.. I have yet to see anything from the XP45 that will match what I get with pneumatic marking.. If someone would post real close up pictures, then maybe my view would change..Kind of doubt it though..:)
jawslandshark
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jawslandshark »

I wish I had a process for pneumatic marking. I was going to purchase a CP marker and try to build something but time to do that and reinventing the wheel just takes a lot of time. The plasma option just seems easy if I can get it going. Still something I want long term, I have an in on some jobs that I could make a killing on but would have to sell it first, I also have to have a way to do it! I wish Hypertherm just sold the 45 XP unit stand alone minus all the crap, I already have three torches.....don't think I will be needing a starter pack of consumables either!

I would be willing to pay for some nice plans with equipment list options on a pneumatic setup, also some Mach 3 details on running it, especially for one that is proven, hint, hint....

Lots of need for marking these days, I am almost forced into some of it. Not to mention it seems art stuff pays more than some of my normal Welding and fabricating and I can drink beer in the shop while doing it.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Very simple to do with Mach-3/Sheetcam. I can send you a parts list for the air parts you need and a general layout on a air slide. Funny thing, it really does not cost that much more then a few tanks of Argon..if you don't include the marker.. Best would be be pictures of layout on the air setup. It's really pretty easy, because I did it, and it sure was for me..Like I said before, I don't think Plasma marking is quite as detailed as I get.. Prove me wrong, but I think cost is over the top for art work with that process..
Attachments
scribe  pencil.jpg
scribe pencil.jpg (38.55 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
tnjind
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnjind »

Brandx, that would be nice info
jawslandshark
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jawslandshark »

Brand X your stuff looks awesome! If you don't mind I will PM you my email and if you can send me the details, I will pay you for your time and knowledge.

So I will make this easy for anyone with a Powermax 85, it will not mark past one cut sequence. Not sure if it is that I cannot get the argon gas pressure low enough or what, I am not a plasma engineer or know anything about inert gases. I have it in manual mode with the lowest pressure it can go at 25 amps. What I am thinking is Hyperthem controls the argon at a lower pressure and maybe dual staged to work with the blowback electrode. A short post flow after a cut stage might also be the trick, I give up at this point, 2 200 bottles of argon and and that is enough for me to know that it's not going to work. To be fair I think the 45 XP is the only machine advertised to mark so I am not disappointed just thought I could get by without buying another machine.

Now I am going to focus on pneumatic markers!
forgeweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by forgeweld »

Brand X I am super interested in learning more about your parts list and layout for an air slide. Can I contact you for more info? Or can you post it here? Thanks!
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Check out the EasyScriber at https://plasmaspider.com/shop/easyscriber.html

I found it to be the most economical and easiest way to get marking or scribing material.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Price wise the easy scribe is the way to go, but if you are looking for deep marking a pneumatic scribe is better. Both are very easy to use, you just use a post processor that is not for plasma as you don't need pierce or cut heights to worry about. With the diamond scribe you just drive the Z down so the spring tension is pushing on the metal surface and call the Z 0.0. The pneumatic scribe uses a cylinder to push the scribe to the metal surface using the same trigger as the torch on, it activates a air solenoid.
Here is my Diamond scribe
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=27403
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”