lost arc

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
anvilhead
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

lost arc

Post by anvilhead »

using 40 amp fine tips with HT 1250. Cutting 14 ga steel and kept getting lost arc and the machine would stop dead in it's tracks. Any ideas. Thanks in advance. CG
There is plenty of room at the top - and the top is where you want to be. Whenever you do a project - do the hardest part first and the rest will be easy.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: lost arc

Post by Loyd »

If you have plenty of air pressure I would think that your electrode is shorted out. I had the same problem a couple of days ago with my HT 1250.
Reset your pierce height after changing consumables. Hope this helps....
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
anvilhead
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by anvilhead »

whenever I have changed the electrode I just start the cut cycle - I have never reset the pierce height???????????????
There is plenty of room at the top - and the top is where you want to be. Whenever you do a project - do the hardest part first and the rest will be easy.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

What type of cutting machine? Is the plasma arc cutting out, or is the machine stopping movement? Have you watched the diagnostic lights on the front panel of the 1250? If you have a hand torch, have you tried cutting by hand?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
anvilhead
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by anvilhead »

dynatorch machine with a HT 1250 - the screen gives a red line message loss arc and the machine stops travel and does not retrack the torch - no hand torch. have not watch the diagnostic lights on front panel of 1250
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Try calling Indiana Jones... he should be able to help.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If you had marginal air pressure (drops under flow conditions) or a restriction (also drops under flow conditions)....you will see the front panel air pressure indicator light show low pressure....momentarily. Then after the post flow of the plasma stops....the pressure will rise back to a safe level, and will indicate ok. You should watch the front panel indicators to determine if a momentary pressure drop is causing the loss of arc....which will drop out the transferred arc signal...giving the Dynatorch control the indication that the arc is lost.

Jim Colt
anvilhead
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by anvilhead »

Jim I will be cutting again on Monday and will watch the panel and get back to you. Thanks for your help. Scratch - Indiana Jones called me after he read your post and told me to tell you hello and he is just to old to start "Scratching" around for a Lost Arc when guys like jimcolt are on the scene and at the top of his game. Jones also said "that jimcolt knows his stuff and there is no need to even try to bluff my way through this one"
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Just call me Raider of the Lost arc. Actually they were great guy flicks....
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Yeah Jim Colt IS our Indiana Jones......
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
anvilhead
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by anvilhead »

Jim I think a low pressure setting on my incoming air supply was the problem. One of the guys dialed the air down to air up a couple of small handtruck tires and did not increase the pressure to what it was set on before he started. Set the pressure back and cut the part without any problems. Thanks. CG

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”