Plasmacam cutting Brass?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Plasmacam cutting Brass?

Post by glgsales »

Anyone cutting brass with a plasma cutter have any good results

when we cut the dross is just a mess,at any speed or power.

Anyone have some ideas on settings ,we have a plasmacam here at the school.

thanks
Gary
highlandjeeper
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Plasmacam cutting Brass?

Post by highlandjeeper »

We tried cutting 1/2" brass with our HPR260. We only tried using settings for 1/2" aluminum and it wasn't too bad, but for what we needed we out-sourced a waterjet to do the job.
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by glgsales »

i managed to cut the .058 brass last evening before I left the school. It does cut with the same settings as we use for steel but the dross is much different on the back. Good thing is we have to use a scotch brite pad on it any way to polish up ,so hitting the back is no big deal.
Dross is pretty rough all over,consistent with steel ,but thick and does not knock off with a tap of a hammer .

I will post a pic of the piece later today....:)
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

There are different grades of brass....and they cut differently. As a general rule of thumb...use the specs from your plasma system manual for cutting aluminum...but reduce the cut speed 20 to 30%. The edge will be a bit rough (like aluminum).

Jim
santiagazo
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by santiagazo »

@jimcolt - are there better/poorer grades of brass for plasma cutting?
Dragfluid
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dragfluid »

Was just looking around and saw this thread. I had a couple of cymbals (musical, brass alloy) that had bad edge cracks. I decided to experiment with them. I was previously cutting some 18g cold rolled and used the Hypertherm settings for the fine cut consumables that I was using. Drew a circle, put it over the cymbal, and pushed the button.
Cut it out perfect! No dross to speak of. Couldn't have asked for a better cut. I'll mic the edge of the cut if need be.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Powermax 45XP
Tig
Mig
A hammer

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”