CandCNC Feather touch Ohmic setup review...

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

CandCNC Feather touch Ohmic setup review...

Post by Oldsarge »

Even though I built my table and have cut some really good pieces, I've always thought that the table want up to its full potential. I've always had an issue with tweaking the switch offset, and always felt the dthc wasn't really working the way it was intended to.

Last week I needed to replace the shear disc on my z axis and do some general maintenance on the table, so I decided that I would take a chance on the new Feather Touch Ohmic setup from CandCNC. For $75 I figured I couldn't go wrong. Installation was fairly straight forward, and when I threw the switch the light came on as per the instructions. Success! As part of the process I also updated much to the latest version, as well as the posts and tools in Sheet cam. Set my switch offset to 0.00 and loaded a file.

Wow!

The torch barely touches the plate and BAM! Off it goes, torch height kicks in just after the pierce and plunge to cutting height! I feel like I have a new table now! With the height control from sheet cam and the latest version of mach running I could immediately tell that this is what I envisioned from my table from day one!

If you have issues with switch offsets, inconsistent height control etc, I'm not saying this will cure all your problems, but it could be the solution you're looking for. For the first time I feel like I've built a table that rivals anything commercially available!

Thanks to Tom and all the folks at CandCNC for a great product!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: CandCNC Feather touch Ohmic setup review...

Post by muzza »

Thanks for the report Mike, I've been toying with the idea myself since Tom released it but you know the old saying about if it ain't broke, maybe I'll just order one, like you say $75.00 isn't much, It'll be paid for inside the first hour.
Murray
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Mike I am tickled that you have gotten to this point my friend. I was so pleased with my Feather Touch after installing it. If you have a "puddle" of water built up on your table that hasn't been blown away by torch air (like you have a delay between cutting paths for some reason) you might get a false surface reading. It will read the surface of the water "puddle". I had a sheet on the table that had a marking crayon area on it too that it would not read through and it kept going until it tripped the Z floating table switch and then went into an e-stop just like it is suppose to.
All in all - I love my Feather Touch.
Good to hear your THC is behaving also.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

I've also been fighting the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" train, everything is cutting pretty good so not sure I want to touch anything.. But may just have too sood.. Actually thinking of building another table but that is a ways off.

Thanks for the report :)
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Question to oldsarge - CandCNC Feather touch Ohmic review..

Post by Countryguy »

Being new to all this, may I ask what is meant by "Set my switch offset to 0.00 and loaded a file"?
I am 99% there on my new table. End to end Tesing anyday now. My son and I have the omic sensor and it will be hookng it up after we run some test cuts and a little burn in time w the candcnc BladeRunner w/ dthc2.
I have used the post processor and sheet cam, but not sure what the 'tools' is either. Just updated the post processors from CandCNC. Tia.
CG
Sampson Jones
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Sampson Jones »

Got mine going today ,love it ! Wow!
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

Just got mine! No matter the thickness of metal, it doesn't move!
FYI i have a 2" torch, it weights a ton
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I know this is an old thread so hopefully Some one here can answer a question for me. I am in the research and design phase of building a table.

Question: Will the CandCNC Feather Touch THC $75.00 unit work by it self in MACH 3 or would I have to purchase other CandCNC products to use this on a table. I am thinking of using Gecko G-540 controller for the stepper motors and a magnetic break away plate with a spring loaded touch off Torch holder. Any pro’s and cons with this type of set up?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

No info on the feather touch, but just to remind you on one thing about sensing. Your Thermal Dynamics 60i has a feature to allow you to sense the exposed tip without any cup mounted sensing probe.. Be sure to wire in that feature into whatever system you use.. Pretty cool for when you are using 20-30 and even 40 amp exposed tips/Nozzles.
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hello

The feather touch was around when CandCNC sold Mach3 systems. Get the manual from their web site to see if it will work for you. I used mine for years with an old A-60 on a Torchmate system.

John
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Brand X wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:39 pm No info on the feather touch, but just to remind you on one thing about sensing. Your Thermal Dynamics 60i has a feature to allow you to sense the exposed tip without any cup mounted sensing probe.. Be sure to wire in that feature into whatever system you use.. Pretty cool for when you are using 20-30 and even 40 amp exposed tips/Nozzles.
Only took me a couple years to get back here and see the reply’s. I found the info on the exposed tips with regards to Mic Ohm sensing in the A60i user manual today as well as the wiring for the CNC Automation kit 9-8308 kit. Looks like the Ohm Mic Clip for the SL100SV torch is only used on the insulated consumables. Oh yeah, that reminds me to go look up the heavy duty start cartridge and see if I can figure out it’s purpose compared to the regular start cartridge.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I cannot comment on a TD plasma but for the Hypertherm I use I use a simple module for Ohmic sensing. I have used it a few table without fail and for my wood router setup to for finding the material surface. It used a short G-code to compensate for the touch off plate thickness.
These modules come in different voltage for their input power too. It uses the low input trigger a wire to the torch tip and the other to the metal being cut (table frame).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401188750996?var=670761872997
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:39 am I cannot comment on a TD plasma but for the Hypertherm I use I use a simple module for Ohmic sensing. I have used it a few table without fail and for my wood router setup to for finding the material surface. It used a short G-code to compensate for the touch off plate thickness.
These modules come in different voltage for their input power too. It uses the low input trigger a wire to the torch tip and the other to the metal being cut (table frame).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401188750996?var=670761872997
So how does one go about determining the voltage required for this part you linked Tom? Would measuring the voltage across the ground lead and the torch nozzle/tip with a voltage meter determine the voltage ?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

With the module I use it is a low trigger, meaning the circuit is looking for ground to trigger it. The wire on the torch tip goes to the module input and when the torch touches the metal it grounds the input. The tip on the torch is isolated for any voltage from the plasma with a Hypertherm torch.
The module has a relay inside that is triggered by it's input signal and the relay contacts goes to the Ohmic input in the controller. The power for the module is what ever you have in the controller, or an additional power supply they come in +5, +12, or +24 volts.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”