More or less warping with cold rolled vs hot rolled?

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
lair12
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

More or less warping with cold rolled vs hot rolled?

Post by lair12 »

I have a sculpture project that I'm going to make from 14gauge steel and wanted to know if there is more or less possible warping using cold rolled versus hot rolled or hot rolled pickle and oil?

There will be many slots in the cut pieces and I need to really minimize any warping that might occur as it will affect how they all interlock.

So just cold rolled steel warp more, less or the same as hot rolled?
And how does it compare to HR PO?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: More or less warping with cold rolled vs hot rolled?

Post by adbuch »

Warping may occur with any of these choices, depending on the shape and size of your part, cut order, cut speed, current setting, etc. Perhaps show some photos of your proposed parts, or drawings so we can get a better idea what you are dealing with. What particular cnc plasma table/cutter/software do you have at your disposal for this project?

It has been reported that warping can be reduced by using a water table under the part where the water level is even with the back side of the sheet of material you are cutting. It has been reported that this technique is particularly useful for cutting thin aluminum sheet or very thin steel sheet.

Some plasma table manufacturers offer an optional mister attachment which will spray a water mist onto the material just ahead of the cut, or adjacent to the cutting location. GoFab cnc is one such manufacturer.

https://gofabcnc.com/mister/
GoFab 1.jpg
GoFab 2.jpg
GoFab 3.jpg

If you have access to one of the Hypertherm plasma cutters with Duramax torch, then using the FineCut consumables can help to reduce potential warping due to the narrow kerf width and less heat put into the part. Machines such as the Hypertherm Powermax 65, 85, 105, and 45xp are examples of machines which use the Duramax torch.

David

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”