ARCPro THC Parameters

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

ARCPro THC Parameters

Post by ChrisO »

Anyone have experience they can share on setting up the Parameters for THC? I just got a Plasma table retrofitted with Vital Systems ArcPro system and I am currently using trial and error approach to create the data in the THC Parameters table. Currently I am turning THC off, setting the torch height IAW Plasma Manufacture spec, run a 5" long cut and incrementing the speed by 5ipm. After about 6 cuts, I then inspect my cut. I am currently working on 1/4" steel.
Perhaps someone has done this before and can share some insight on a better way to do this? Below are the data I am trying to capture. Perhaps someone has Vital Systems ArcPro and can share their Parameters?

Deadband Volts
Adjust Speed(%)
FR AntiDive(%)
Tip Volt Operating Range(%)
TV Rec Range (%)
Torch On Height
ArcOK Timeout (ms)
Pierce Height
Pierce Delay(ms)
Cut Height
Max Cut Height
Min Cut Height
THC Delay(ms)
Tool number
Description(material)
Chris Orwig
Mach4 Hobby
Vital Systems Hicon 7866 w/ 77ISO bd and ArcPro Plasma Profile
DYN4 DYN4-H01A2-00 AC SERVO /DMM 750 Watt NEMA 34
Thermal Dynamics Pak Master XL100 w/ floating head Torch
Retrofit Table: 6’x24’ linear rail and belt. Water Table
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: ARCPro THC Parameters

Post by weldguy »

Hey Chris, not familiar with Arcpro. Maybe if you were to post back the values you are currently using for those parameters and post the issues you have with using those settings someone may be able to get you closer.
ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ChrisO »

Hey thanks, I will post back results of tests as you suggested.. but it might be awhile as a problem just came up. The Plasma cutter has a problem as it does not turn itself off after the cut. (initial investigations are pointing to the plasma cutters Logic Control PCB board.) I'll get back to THC Parameters after I have resolved this new issue.
Chris Orwig
Mach4 Hobby
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

If its not turning off, its possible you have the wrong setting on the plasma cutter itself. Some can be set to come on with a button press and turned off with a second button press. Do not use this mode for CNC plasma!

A lot of your settings are plasma cutter make and model specific. Some would be for all materials, others will also change with material type and thickness. If you do not have cutcharts, you need to do what you are doing for each thickness.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

10-4...thats a bummer. Good suggestion from Rodw above. Still using the Pak MAster XL 100? Does it do this if you fire it manually without the computer?
shaddr3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shaddr3 »

ChrisO wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:51 am Hey thanks, I will post back results of tests as you suggested.. but it might be awhile as a problem just came up. The Plasma cutter has a problem as it does not turn itself off after the cut. (initial investigations are pointing to the plasma cutters Logic Control PCB board.) I'll get back to THC Parameters after I have resolved this new issue.
Arcpro uses M5 macro for torch off. Make sure the files are in the profiles folder.
ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ChrisO »

Hey thanks for the insight. I connected the manual torch switch, in place of the CNC control and it still stays on after the second cut. This cutter does not have the second press of the button option. I have read through the Service Manual's trouble shooting guide and all conditions point to a bad Logic Control board.

Yes, the M3 was successfully turning the torch on and the M5 was successfully turning the torch off with no issues. It was not until I started running several cut tests that this issue showed up. Used parts are available for the Pak Master 100XL, so I have ordered a replacement Logic board(Ebay). I'm going to keep my fingers crossed......

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
Chris Orwig
Mach4 Hobby
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

ChrisO wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:36 pm Hey thanks for the insight. I connected the manual torch switch, in place of the CNC control and it still stays on after the second cut. This cutter does not have the second press of the button option. I have read through the Service Manual's trouble shooting guide and all conditions point to a bad Logic Control board.

Yes, the M3 was successfully turning the torch on and the M5 was successfully turning the torch off with no issues. It was not until I started running several cut tests that this issue showed up. Used parts are available for the Pak Master 100XL, so I have ordered a replacement Logic board(Ebay). I'm going to keep my fingers crossed......

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
Ah OK. Well hopefully the Ebay board you found does the trick. Good luck :Like
mikealex1970
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mikealex1970 »

I also upgraded my plasma table to the Hicon 7866 and also upgraded to a new pc that came with windows 11. been having nothing but problems and was wondering if someone had some examples on setting the parameters in mach4 for plasma
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

mikealex1970 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:00 pm I also upgraded my plasma table to the Hicon 7866 and also upgraded to a new pc that came with windows 11. been having nothing but problems and was wondering if someone had some examples on setting the parameters in mach4 for plasma
You may be best to start a new topic in the Mach forum here viewforum.php?f=55 for help on your issue.
ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ChrisO »

I had run in to a problem with the plasma cutter not turning off at the end of a cut, but I found the problem. The only way to turn it off was to shut off the power supply. The power supply's Logic control board had two IC chips damaged. I replaced the chips but after about 15 min of cutting, the new IC Chips failed. I spent several months troubleshooting the problem and found the issue was the torch has a PIP circuit "Parts in Place" which is a pair of wires that run from the torch's shield cap thread to the power supply. The purpose is that if the user turns on the CNC controlled torch, and the shield cap has been removed, the power supply wont fire the torch because of the lack of conductivity due to the missing shield cap. The manufacture wires this circuit inline with the start/stop circuit. This is an old plasma cutter and old torch leads, and what I found was if I remove the Parts in Place PIP circuit from the start/stop circuit, it fixes the problem. I isolated the PIP circuit and with the shield cap attached I get 0 ohms resistance. However if I run the torch, cutting metal, and put a volt meter on one of the PIP leads, when measured to ground, I get 50 volts. I then used ohm meter and checked to see if the PIP circuit was some how connected to the main torch lead. It was not. Meter read an open circuit. I can only guess that the insulation on the 40 ft torch lead and PIP wires has degraded over the past 30 years and when power is induced into PIP wires, its more than the power supply Logic board IC chips could handle. Just wanted to close the loop on this subject. Thanks
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

You could possibly add a relay to the pip circuit to isolate the stray voltage. But the coil might not be able to handle the extra voltage.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ChrisO »

That's an idea I had not thought of....

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”