Cut quality problems w/ hand cutting 50ft torch Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 80xl

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
damengineer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cut quality problems w/ hand cutting 50ft torch Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 80xl

Post by damengineer »

Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 80xl
replacement sl/100 50ft torch
I recently replaced my original 15ft OEM TD torch with the Sl 60/100 one torch. Since I need to do some scrapping work in the future, I got the 50ft long torch. I do all my cutting by hand and outside 95% of the time. I could always get a smooth cut with the oem torch. With the new 50ft torch, cutting 1/2 HRMS and getting 1/4 inch dross on the bottom and the cut was curved. I varied the amps several times but nothing seemed to help. I turned the regulator up, but I am thinking maybe it has operated for so long at 65-70 psi, it is not adjusting higher. Compressor kicks on at 115 and off at 135 3hp single stage v-twin cylinder. Are there any recommendations for increasing the pressure for the 50 ft torch pressure drop? Amperage recommendations? If I need to replace the regulator, are there any recommendations for the replacement? The $125 price for the TD regulator seems a bit high for a standard regulator. I have a boatload of older USA made CO2 bottle regulators that could be re-plumbed... I am thinking air volume problems, but I would like to be sure before digging out another compressor.

I have a Pakmaster 40 or 45 with the 15ft torch and have had no problems.

Thanks in advance, I am new to this forum. Like everyone budget seems to get in the way.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cut quality problems w/ hand cutting 50ft torch Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 80xl

Post by weldguy »

Welcome to the site, I am sure you will love it here.

If I remember correctly standard torch lead length is 25' and TD says to increase air pressure 5psi for every additional 25' or lead.

What consumables are you using?

I know your hand cutting and it is possible that the shield or cap your using is not standing the torch off the plate the correct distance to get the best edge quality and dross reduction.
damengineer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Cut quality problems w/ hand cutting 50ft torch Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 80xl

Post by damengineer »

I have a standoff ordered. I was sorta confused by the different end caps listed for the torch. My old Pakmaster 50 had only one torch cap, and when I added the copper cap that llater came available, it made a great cut. This machine cut fine with the old torch. However, the torch head was cracked when I bought the machine and it just finally gave up.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”