zoning by gantry location?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
curts
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

zoning by gantry location?

Post by curts »

I'm a newbie...haven't even bought a table yet, so please excuse me if my lingo is not correct.
I was researching air/fume handling systems and was asked about zoning.
"If the table is zoned to 5x5 based upon gantry movement we can then reduce CFM requirements "
I had told this manufacturer of dust/fume collecting equipment that we were looking at a 5' x 10' table...probably Samson.
The table will be inside a building where 10+ people work, but not fully enclosed in it's own room...so I am trying to find the proper exhaust/filtration system rather than simply blowing the fumes/dust out a window.
Ideas?
How would one go about zoning?
I have read on this board about others who put welding screen or cardboard on the unused portion of the table to increase airflow on section used.
If I had a table in my home shop or one where I was the only worker....that may suffice, but I hate to rely on an employee remembering to block airflow manually and/or adjust fan speed.
It also seems to me that zoning would only help in sizing the CFM requirements lower if it was automated...otherwise, the system would still have to handle the full 5' x 10' air flow, right?
plasmaguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: zoning by gantry location?

Post by plasmaguy »

I use a water table. Very little smoke. Although ventilation is great. Just something to think about.
Brad
Ironman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Ironman »

What they mean by zoning is dividing the base under the table into zones or compartments, and connecting the ducting to each compartment with a damper.
As the gantry moves it hits an air switch, or a proximity switch that activats a small air cylinder to switch the damper from drawing air in Compartment A to compartment B

This is very commonly done on large commercial tables.
I have seen 20 foot tables with 5 zones or compartments.

The fumes from plasma cutting are fine particles of the material you are cutting. You will see the same fumes if you are welding, oxy-fuel cutting or laser cutting these materials?they are not plasma fumes?they are fumes from the material. Stainless steel has nice hexavalent chromium fumes, as does any steel like 4140, galvanized steel and various alloys of many metals can produce fumes that will cause health issues over time.
Whenl cutting and welding you need to be aware of what they are cutting?.and need to ensure that fume control systems are working properly and if not, breathing apparatus, filters, etc.is a good idea. Nowadays with so much recycled steel out on the market you really don't know what you are breathing.
The only materials I have run into that cause immediate (within 24 hours ) symptoms are fumes from cutting galvanized steel (zinc) and fumes from cutting painted or otherwise coated steel.
curts
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by curts »

Thanks guys!
I have been trying to read about water table use as well.
We will be cutting Aluminum, Stainless, Galvanized, as well as mild steel, so I need to read more about the released hydrogen.

...the way it is looking, a good commercial collection system is going to cost me almost as much as a table.
airclnr
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by airclnr »

Zoning allows me to design a plasma removal system using a lower Cfm. There is no need to draw from the entire table when the actual cut is being done in a very small area. If you chose to ventilate, keep in mind that exhausting the smoke and dust to the outside of the building will cost more to operate versus a properly designed dust collection system. This is assuming that you live in a cold climate.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”