Good starter cnc plasma machine

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
randallwelds
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Good starter cnc plasma machine

Post by randallwelds »

Any suggestions on a beginer setup, I'm looking for a 4x4 table possibly a 4x8 but room is kind of an issue.
I'm very savy with computers so that is not a issue.
Any ideas would be great, Thanks!!
jim fry
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Good starter cnc plasma machine

Post by jim fry »

go with the tracker 4x10 set up. I'm had it over a month and i like it alot. i got to test out a few other tables before i went with a tracker
randallwelds
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by randallwelds »

Is it a good price for what you get?
jim
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jim »

I have a 4x8 tracker had it now for 3 years very happy and service has been great. We are looking to add another table but just dont know what size yet but it will be a tracker.
Jim (murals in metal)
fyrpower
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fyrpower »

I have had a plasmacam for 10 yrs+, I have never had a problem, when I bought it it was under 8k, it is simple to work on, routine maint, parts are easy to replace. The plasmacam program is very very easy to use. for my investment it is hard to beat, I have heard and read a lot of negative things about plasma cam but I have never experienced them. over 10 nyrs old and still going strong. It has made me a lot of money
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I too have a PlasmaCam cutting table. It has had it's problems, but like most people they were mostly from my lake of knowledge at the time. I have heard a lot of bad things about it also but there a TON of these out there so of course your going to hear more about it. The more I research buying a new machine, the more I appreciate this for what it is. Cost me less than 10k and has serve motors rather than steppers, simply software, and it's built really heavy and strong for a bolt together machine.

I went to look at a Tracker which I was just about to buy (I want a larger machine) and the metal it was built from was thin, the motors were small steppers, the software was simple but very outdated looking, and it was expensive. I am sure they work fine but not worth the extra $ to me for what your getting.

I am going to stick with my Pcam for a while longer, its a great starter machine and I just may end up keeping it and my money.

Plasmanewbie
janey
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by janey »

Me too!!!

looking to buy a plasma machine, just for fun , for my projects..
Don't want to spend to much $$ either.. so the Tracker 8x10

where a good place to buy it at ???

janet
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

janey wrote:looking to buy a plasma machine, just for fun , for my projects..
Don't want to spend to much $$ either.. so the Tracker 8x10

where a good place to buy it at ???
I have been looking at the Tracker and others for a while. They offer 4x4, 4x8, and 5x10 and you can order direct from them. I currently own a Plasmacam and if your looking for an easy machine to use that is under 10k I would recommend it. The more I see the others out there, the more I appreciate what I already have. It has paid for itself over and over again and I don't expect it to ever stop. Fast, built strong, servo drives, low cost, and there are 1000's of then in the USA so if you have any questions you can find answers on this website and many others.

plasmanewbie
randallwelds
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by randallwelds »

Thanks for all the input!!
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

I have a torchmate and have had no problems with it software is very strong and is easy to use and the customer service is great.just my 2 cents though
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
Jason M.
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jason M. »

I have a Tracker 4X8. Although an earlier model, it still operates great. When comparing, make sure to compare software too, not just the table. I feel Tracker does an excellent job on software and is always inproving.
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

I agree that software is a big part of it also. I would have the manufacturer give you a trial version of the software before purchasing. Tracker does offer a trial version however when I was going through it I was dissapointed. I found it to be very old school, like it was written along time ago. Also I found it to be missing a lot of important features such as kerf compensation, nesting, and a homing function for the gantry. I was easy to open file and run it which would really please a beginner, but after becoming experienced you will likely be wishing you had some of the other mainstream features. There were a couple cool features like joining broken DXF segments automatically but all in all I wasn't real impressed.
rpage
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rpage »

We had a 4x4 PlasmaCAM for 5 years and traded it up for the new Samson 5x10. As with the other folks that posted, I to heard bad reports about PlasmaCAM when I was looking. But after 5 years I have had zero problems and they have been nothing but helpful! The software is super easy to learn (least it was for me) and PlasmaCAM does maintain parts if you need them.

PlasmaCAM has helped us create Art and work on projects we never dreamed of before. If you are serious, PlasmaCAM is good machine for the dollars. And so far the Samson is to!

BTW, we have a 1250 Hypertherm handheld on our table and have had zero issues with it as well. Nice torch! It has been blasting steel for 5 years now :D

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”