Newbie....first post

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Eggman
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Newbie....first post

Post by Eggman »

WOW!! What an awesome site you guys have going here!! I have been lurking for about a month now and decided to make a post. Currently looking at purchasing a Samson 5 x 10 table and a powermax 65 within the next week. My Fiance just signed us up for a weekend show after the first of the year (talk about putting the cart before the horse), so I will be looking for ideas and suggestions for what to take so we don't bring anything back home with us. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I will also be turning my name to purple by tomorrow.

Thanks, Eggman
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Newbie....first post

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Welcome, you will find a lot of info here and help.
Dawg
Vern2
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Vern2 »

Just came from there site, Samson. Looks like a PlasmaCam. I like the down draft design, that's my choice. I'd check out there support, PlasmaCam has very good support, plus a large support group.

Good luck on your show. Looks like you have someone trying to prove something to you. I hope your over flowing with ideas (designs, art). That table will give you a great start.

Vern
Eggman
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Eggman »

Thanks guys. We ordered the table and the Hypertherm Powermax 65. The table is scheduled for a Friday delivery and the Powermax should be here today.

We have some ideas and some patterns, just trying to figure out what will sell at the show. Any suggestions?

For a woman who knows nothing about metal, she is sure learning quickly. She wants to learn how to braze and weld this week before everything gets here.
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BrianMick »

Vern2 wrote:Just came from there site, Samson. Looks like a PlasmaCam. I like the down draft design, that's my choice. I'd check out there support, PlasmaCam has very good support, plus a large support group.

Good luck on your show. Looks like you have someone trying to prove something to you. I hope your over flowing with ideas (designs, art). That table will give you a great start.

Vern
The sampson 5x10 table is a big brother plasmacam.......They have exellent support. I heard a lot of bad things about it before I bought mine too but I love it and have always had great customer service
Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When looking at machines to purchase please consider the advertisers at the top of these pages who support our site. Thanks and hope to see you around alot.

Regards
Admin
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

My PCam has done a very good job for me.

As far as what to take to the shows,,, we all wish we had a crystal ball. Right, guys & gals?

I'm trying to focus on custom cutting. It may be nothing more than a fishing oval from Jason with a name added to it but that's where I think I want to be.
But for the shows, you'll need to have a bunch of shiney stuff that is priced at what your customers will have in their pocket. About twenty bucks seems to be the cut-off point around here. That breaks the ice with them and may lead to a custom order later. But you still have to have some retail sales to cover the cost of the show.

What bothers me most is the wear & tear on my examples from packing up and all the handling they get from tire kickers. And I do stress that every piece is for sale, but I'd rather cut and powder coat a new one for the customer. That opens up the opportunity to add a custom feature. In addition, taking a lot of stock to a four hour or one day show means toting a lot of weight!

There was a sale at Staples and I picked up several digital picture frames (11" for $50.00). Having pictures of larger custom pieces that you've done for other customers is a good idea, and the changing scenes on the screen is an attention getter.

Keep your show table things seperated by the target market to save yourself from carrying too much stuff around. If you're at a car show, leave most of your girly stuff at the shop. At the quilty/beadie shows, that 'man cave' sign probably won't get a lot of attention. Just take one not all ten you have ready... Get the idea?
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”