Bending 14 Gauge Steel Plate

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Bending 14 Gauge Steel Plate

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for bending 14 Gauge steel sheet without a press brake. I've bent thinner material by clamping a 2x4 to the piece and slowly folding it but am a little concerned that this trick won't work as well on a thicker gauge. I haven't tried it yet nor do I want to and end up wasting material if it doesn't turn out right. I am looking to fabricate a pan so I can turn my table into a water table and bending as opposed to welding those long seams just seems like the way to go. I appreciate the help :)
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Bending 14 Gauge Steel Plate

Post by WSS »

I just did my bladder/tank out of 14ga and the tray out of 12ga. Had to be press braked, 400gal tank and the tray for a 6x12 table cost $300usd to brake. Poor guy worked his tail off too.

WSS
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

Sometimes I will lay a straight edge along the bend line and make a groove with a cut-off wheel, then it will make a nice sharp straight bend. Then you can tack weld it, or weld the whole seam to strengthen it back up without leaks. It makes a sharp bend, so without support the seam can be brittle and prone to crack if bent back and forth, so you'd have to support it underneath to keep it from flexing along the seam. And try not to bend it back and forth during the initial bend. Depends on how deep the groove is. If the groove is too deep and not wide enough it won't bend a full 90. I've only done smaller non-load-bearing bends, so try it on a scrap piece first. And make sure the groove is as straight as possible or it won't bend right.
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Hey Darryl
Why don't just do spot welds along the seams and then seal it with fish tank silicone. I have built large fish tanks with glass and just used clear silicon to weld and seal the seams together. There is some one on plasmapig that did the very same thing and it works great. That way you don't have to spend all that money :lol:
Rod S in AZ
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Here is how I bend up to 3/16" without a brake. I have done up to 4' length in 12 gauge using a stitch cut...then easily can weld in the slots...usually from the outside of the bend. Cut, of course with a Hypertherm Powermax45 at 45 amps....kerf width about .040".

Jim Colt
torchmate 001.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by jimcolt on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

I'm building a water table this fall. Jim, I will have to try out you way of bending
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Just a thought, but I had the local AC shop bend me a pan out of galvanized metal...like they make ductwork. Had a small leak where they joined two pieces, but that was resolved and it works just fine. Bob.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Jmsrbert, I sent you a PM but it would not go through. Email me at jim.barnett49@ yahoo.com.
Thanks, Jim
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

PM coming from work...jt20@txstate.edu
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
kel fab creations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by kel fab creations »

jimcolt wrote:Here is how I bend up to 3/16" without a brake. I have done up to 4' length in 12 gauge using a stitch cut...then easily can weld in the slots...usually from the outside of the bend. Cut, of course with a Hypertherm Powermax45 at 45 amps....kerf width about .040".

Jim Colt
torchmate 001.jpg
i use this method on 1/8" to 1/4" but instead of just cutting a slot the width of the kerf i cut the slot as wide as half the thickness of the plate. when you bend this to 90 degrees it leaves a perfect corner to corner joint. the tabs are .05 wide and get burned though easily when you weld it and you don't have a bump like you welded over something.

WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Forget the tabs, the welds are awesome. Is that stainless?

WSS
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Those welds must have been done on a robot machine? I would like to see some pictures of the welding machine.
Rod S in AZ
kel fab creations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by kel fab creations »

that material is hot rolled P&O. I use a Lincoln 216.
redneckgateart
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redneckgateart »

I would've bet TIG....not MIG. If you did that by hand, all I have to say is "The man has SKILLS!"

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”