Help Please DXF has lines going in all directions

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
GWS.Arkansas
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Help Please DXF has lines going in all directions

Post by GWS.Arkansas »

Can anyone tell me why some dxf files will open normal and some that i open just have lines going all directions?
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: help please

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

Might help to know what software you're using and to see a file that's not working

My guess is, it's probably late version DXF files with splines giving you trouble
GWS.Arkansas
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by GWS.Arkansas »

i am using corelx3 it came with my tracker machine. its not all of the dxf files just some of them. anway of cleaning them up. oh and by the way the super bundle i bought from you is great . thanks for every thing. still have a lot to learn but i am havin a blast with it
redneckgateart
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by redneckgateart »

Like Gary said, it would be easier to figure out the problem if you could post an example. It's hard to say whether or not they can be easily cleaned up unless we see what's messed up. Do any of the files you got in the Superbundle give you problems? ...or is it all from other sources?
Metal Lee
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Metal Lee »

Many of the files that are posted here have many broken line segments due to the software that is being used, you can inport the file to your command and cut software and join the segments but most of the files have to many errors for that to work completley, Corel X5 has a great joining function that seem to work well at cleaning them up. X3 doesn't have that function. Again if you post the file or a file that you are having problems with then somone here can give you more insite as to what the problem is.
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
sbest1
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sbest1 »

I too have had that problem. What I noticed is that if I open it in Hycad, it either has nothing or has lines going in the wrong spots. I open it in DeltaCad and it shows up fine, I then export the dxf file from there (It will ask if you want to replace it, yes) Then when I go back to Hycad (where it didn't show originally) it will work fine.
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

sbest1 wrote:I too have had that problem. What I noticed is that if I open it in Hycad, it either has nothing or has lines going in the wrong spots. I open it in DeltaCad and it shows up fine, I then export the dxf file from there (It will ask if you want to replace it, yes) Then when I go back to Hycad (where it didn't show originally) it will work fine.
That's interesting, since there are quite a few files I've downloaded from here that show up that way (missing lines or just blank) in Deltacad.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help Please DXF has lines going in all directions

Post by weldguy »

Hmmm I have seen this in the past but don't have one of these problem files to look at again.

When you open a dxf in Corel the image below shows the most common settings to use to bring most files up in the correct scale.
open_dxf.jpg
If you still see the crazy lines try viewing it in wireframe and then checking the size of the image. You may find that it is very small image...too small to cut, so scale it up.

I may be way off on this reply but I think it is a scaling thing and easilly overcome. If you can reply and attach one of the problem files I may be able to help better.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

gr33ko
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Help Please DXF has lines going in all directions

Post by gr33ko »

I've also notice when making DXF files from Illustrator CS3 it creates one long 45 degree line through the whole drawing.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”