Bending Scrolls

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
jdh239
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Bending Scrolls

Post by jdh239 »

Just wondering if anyone has created some jigs for scroll bending? I have some ideas, and can create them easy enough, but I find my ideas aren't always the simplest. I would like to see what you may have done before I am off and making some scroll bending jigs.
----------------------------------------
ColdCreekWorks.com
elkriverfab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Bending Scrolls

Post by elkriverfab »

jdh239,

I have a bench top scroll bender I bought from shop outfitters a few years ago.
I am sure one could be made pretty easily though.

I have had very good luck with it and have never had to use any jigs at all for multiple pieces of the same style.

To be honest, it just allows you to slam them out fast.

When I bought their big bender it has a scroll attachment too but I ended up getting their bench top scroll bender as well.

It is fairly inexpensive (bench top) and really makes nice scrolls.

Just thought I would mention it.
It may be worth looking into :D
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

I just bought there bender with the hydraulic package. I have not set it up yet but will soon. Elkriverfab, do you like the bender? Do you have any type of mathametical formulas you use to determin the cut length for your scroll work and bending?
Thanks, Dawg
elkriverfab

Post by elkriverfab »

Dawgonhawg,

I have the manual set up and I am happy with it for sure.

I just wish they would have included some sort of setting chart or reference points for USING IT!!! :cry:

I don't have any numbers to give you, you are just going to have to do a few test bends on different diameters of tubing and right down the radius numbers of each die.

Mine didn't even come with that, just boxed dies with the sizes on the boxes.
I actually engraved the die sizes on each die so I know whats in my hand.

Once you figure out the radius of each die and how to place your tubing in the bender, it will bend exact every time.

It really is a crappy way to do it but once you figure out how everything is going to bend and how much of material is in the bend, you can measure for it.

With that said, it is a great product and it will make clean bends on round and square not to mention flat and solid.

Yours will even be better with the hydraulic setup.

When I got mine, I was in the same boat.....An entire bending setup with no reference or real instructions other than how it is set up and how to use it.

One program that is great for bending is Bend Tech EZ software.

Do a search on Bend Tech EZ on the web.

It is a great tool.

I wish I could help more but you are just going to have to set it up and start bending scrap.

Great bender but no instructions that help much.

When I got mine I had not used any benders before so I am sure I was to blame as well but instructions would have been great.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Elkriverfab, Shop Outfitters now has an assembly and instruction manual with the UB-5 bender which sounds like more info than when you purchased you bender but nothing on figuring what cut length should be . I will check out Bend Tech EZ software. Now I just have to find a place to set it up. Shop is already full :roll: Thank you for the info. Dawg
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

I've been using Shop Outfitters benders for years.
Their first compact bender came with design templates plus, measurements for flat bar lengths for all scrolls.
Same goes for the 2020 bender but, I've had nothing to do with the UB-5 bender....wouldn't mind one but, I'm thinking the JD is a better option, particularly for tube and pipe.
elkriverfab

Post by elkriverfab »

possumplasma,

Would you be willing to share the design template info?

Mine just came with the flat bar info and scroll info but nothing on square or round tubing.

Mine is the 2020 compact.

My instructions just have a small description on how to place the tubing in the bender....I want to say 1/2 inch square?
Nothing on radius, cut lengths or tech info.

More of a trial and error thing :oops:

Other than that just info on how to put it together and bolt to the floor.

The JD bender looks nice.

The 2020 only goes up to 1-1/4 round and then the JD looks like a good choice for larger tubing.

I went with the 2020 because of the die prices VS multiple dies.

I could get many dies for a good price and have more of a selection but when it comes to larger tubing it seems like JD would be a good bender for Roll cages, motorcycle frames and larger projects.

Seems to be a quality product.
fyrpower
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fyrpower »

A fast easy to determine length of stock needed for scroll, take a length of flatbar and put a chisel marks 1 inch increments on top edge then bend a scroll. you can then use this as a template. lay it on your work and rotate untill it fits, count marks cut material and bend a perfect scroll
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Wine Country »

I finished 20 candelabras recently for a winery here. They wanted me to duplicate what they already had. I ended up drawing the scroll on manila folder paper.I then cut it out and painted it flat black,photographed it and converted it to a DXF.I then cut out the material on my machine out of 3/8" stock.The scrolls were made out of 5/16"hot rolled material. I needed rings out of the same material and used well casing of the proper size and created drums with a pipe shaft to roll up a full 20Ft length of material.I then took my cut off wheel and parted the coil to get my individual rings. 590 parts later and over 1000 welds I was done.They mentioned they would like to sell thes for twice the price I made them for ,and rent them out at weddings for $25 a pop. I told them that I am in the not making candelabra business now!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”