DXF -- Turn Key, or more prep needed

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
jdh239
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

DXF -- Turn Key, or more prep needed

Post by jdh239 »

Just a general question, as I am new to this stuff.

I like to put lead-ins on my DXF files to give a cleaner look. I noticed that people don't do that here on the DXF that is posted. Are most cutting as-is? or adding lead-ins later (which I have done)? Same thing on kerf width (understanding that I am using CNC with plasma, and not a router)?
----------------------------------------
ColdCreekWorks.com
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DXF -- Turn Key, or more prep needed

Post by BrianMick »

Most programs you dont want to do lead ins on one copy or it makes it harder to edit the design later....I put in the lead ins when I am ready to cut
Brain
bigd420
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bigd420 »

I've noticed some like that too. i use a nesting program called pronest10 and it automacticly puts the lead in and out on the parts i'm trying to cut so if the parts come in with them already drawn then it will give me a open profile error in turn i have to take them out and let the program put them in
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

Yes, CLIP ART FILES SHOULD NOT HAVE LEAD-INS OR KERF COMPENSATION

Those are end-user specific settings that vary with the machine, material, and user preferences.

Adding lead-ins makes closed curves open. Adding kerf compensation distorts the outline.

Adding either overrides the end-user's ability to apply their own settings, and some platforms (like engravers and markers and vinyl cutters) don't even need lead-ins or kerf compensation.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”