Thoughts about building my own gantry?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Thoughts about building my own gantry?

Post by Oldsarge »

In the VERY early stages of designing & building a table. One thing I see that is a big chunk of the build cost is the gantry. Was wondering how many here have constructed their own gantry, and how it turned out. Also if you built your own, what if any was the cost savings over buying a prefabbed unit?

I found this site, and am very interested in what they have to offer and if it can save money using their products... :

http://www.mknorthamerica.com/linear-mo ... uides.html

As I get closer to actually starting construction and do more research I think I'll contact these folks and see what their price structure is... Thoughts? Feedback? I think this could be very doable if the price is right!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Thoughts about building my own gantry?

Post by WSS »

OldSarge,
What kind of work do plan on doing with it? What size plate do want to be able to cut?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dynatorch ... log-7.html

Here is a link to my build on cnczone. I have a packet in it and it still is not done!! It is a good machine though, it runs all day with little problems. I imagine any build will have the inevitable hick-ups and hurdles. Once they are ironed out though it is pretty satisfying. A popular build your own kit is Tom Caudle's CandCnc.com gear. It depends on your patience, pocket book and knowledge/experience. The latter is really not as important as the first, by the time you get there the journey will teach you. Isn't that metafork or is it metaphoric?

WSS
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

WSS... 6x12! :shock: That is a really impressive table! I'm not planning to do something quite that big... really looking at a balance between art stuff, and general metal fab stuff at first. Originally was thinking a 4x8 table, but have a feeling that is going to grow by the time I start steel shopping!

I've been looking at the packages offered on CandCnc and think theirs is a good setup. Like most of us on here, I will have to build in stages because of the financial outlay, but I'll get there eventually.

I'll probably cut no thicker than 1/2" occasionally, and 10-12g mostly for artsy stuff.... Hopefully will grow to the point that the table will be running 4-6 hours a day. I have a lot of experience with woodworking, and pretty intermediate with metal stuff, have built several dump trailers etc... The shop will also be doing some light powder coating and tube bending. I want to combine multiple medias in some of my projects, and I already have several products like bedsliders and miter saw stands that I'll be building.

I'm impatient to get started, but will be very patient and methodical on my build... If I can build a really accurate gantry on my own I may try it, but if the savings aren't substantial, then I'll go with something commercially available. Like I said, VERY early stages, and I have a lot of questions to ask, and a lot to learn.... This board is going to be an awesome resource! I hope I don't wear out my welcome with too many questions!

Metaforks? I think somebody posted a DXF file for one of those!!!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
tentonjj
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tentonjj »

I have the Precision Plasma 2x2. It is very similar to the link you posted.

http://www.precisionplasmallc.com/My_Ho ... Page2.html

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Jayson Johnson
JMJ Graphix
920-517-7122
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Sarge
As I said I plan to build my own, cant send you a drawing yet it, is in my head, I build based on what is in my metal supply or what I can get local. With that said if you are confident enough to build a dump trailer that is used on public highways then I would not think twice about building the gantry. Another point I have not seen here, may have missed it, is if you are doing comercial work you can impress a customer by telling him I built the complete structure not a kit I put together. May go a long way to getting a job, you know the thought if he can build that, my little project should be a piece of cake for this guy. Just my 2 cents worth, which with inflation is useless
Mike
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Sarge my gantry (as you saw) is heavy duty and they can be built much lighter really. Remember - when you do it yourself you know how to work on it afterwards.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Mike, Ibthink you are right on as far as building the gantry myself. I got the opportunity to visit Plain Ol Bill at his shop today, and all I can say is "WOW!" What a nice shop, and Bill is. true craftsman and a great guy.... I learned more in the few hourss I spent there than in a week of sorting through the internet trying to figure things Out! Fthanks again Bill, and I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" some of your ideas, especially the watertable idea...that is just too Slick!

Saw Sheetcam running and Mach 3 in use, and a great demonstration of what can be done in Corel.... If I was mildly interested before seeing this stuff in action, then I think it's safe to say I'm an addict Now! I decided I'll be using components from CandCnc for the electronics, and will fab the gantry myself. As soon as we close on our house, the shop moves too te head of the priority list.... Will post what I find out on the gantry resources.

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Oldsarge,

You are one lucky guy!

CNC cutting is only a small facet of what plain ol bill is known for. True craftsman!

Listening to your thoughts, I would incorporate a water table in your build and make one like Bill's. I skipped this step with "intentions" to add later. Now I have to use a different design and it just keeps getting pushed back. If for nothing else your health is worth it. Push the size to a 5x10 if you can.

WSS
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

tentonjj wrote:I have the Precision Plasma 2x2. It is very similar to the link you posted.

http://www.precisionplasmallc.com/My_Ho ... Page2.html
Jayson, do you supply the electronics and motors? The Z looks robust!

Keep us posted.

WSS
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

That's tue frustrating part aabout not having a well equipped shop... I'd like to make a nice Z axis like that, but,limited by what I have to work with at the moment. I did, however, crack the code on gantry building materialls (at least for me) and have ordered most of the materials I'll need to make the gantry minus the mounts for the motors.... There's the rub... would be awesome to have a table to cut out the parts I need to maake a table! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm started and I have a lot of ideas that I want to incorporate into this table.... will post more as I go Along!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
cjdave
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cjdave »

I used 80/20 extrusion (3030), purchased off the 80/20 eBay outlet store, cncrouterparts carriages, and built my own drives, but my drives are almost the same as there drives you could just use there stuff if you wanted to save some build time. I also got a big hiwin linear bearing with 4 cassettes on ebay for cheap for the gantry. Cheap easy, I use the candcnc blade runner system. Purchased a nice ball screw setup with a nema 23 mount off eBay and made the rest of my z from aluminum and some small linear bearings off eBay. Works great, plenty rigid up over 170 ipm cut speeds and 600 ipm rapids on my 5x10 table. I have probably over 1000 hrs on it in the last 8 months no problems.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

cjdave,

I think my build will be similar to yours.... I ordered the 3030 a few days ago from their EBay store too... I also ordered integral linear v rail for the gantry, and may use a heavier profile for the side rails as well... Really slick stuff, and able to get really tight tolerances on their carriages... found them the other night & got a quote...

http://ivt.pbclinear.com/IVT/

Spoke with Tom at CandCnC today, and will be ordering their system in a few days.... 8020 stuff is pretty reasonable for what you get.... Will post more as I get my components in & start playing with the design a little more!
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”