Having size issues, size is double

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Kajeti
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Having size issues, size is double

Post by Kajeti »

hi recently i ve been working with a guy who gave me job offering for a side job to run his table. i can get the table to everything i need the only issue is from the computer to the table the sizes are off.. example if i make a 1x1 square it cuts it at 2x2 so on an so forth. i dont wanna spend all my time halving my measurements for it to cut the pieces out.. using myplasma cnc and the mini cad for my drawings and even tried to import stuff from inkscape still doubles the size.. changed the sizes of the files % and still nothing works is it on the computer end or what? his setup is a hypertherm and sparta robotics
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: First post. Having size issues

Post by Plasma-art »

Welcome on the forum.

If you jog the table over 1 inch does it move 1 or 2 inch?
First thing that comes to mind is the steps per inch are calibrated incorrectly.
Kajeti
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kajeti »

Plasma-art wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:57 pm Welcome on the forum.

If you jog the table over 1 inch does it move 1 or 2 inch?
First thing that comes to mind is the steps per inch are calibrated incorrectly.
That i do not know i ll have to get back with you at the end of the week i farm as my main job and do this as a side gig on downtime. Say if was calibrated wrong how would i go about fixing it. I ve never ran one of these i m a youtube learner and know how program things for games and program tractors. Is it a basic set one a to point be or something different?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If it is running Mach 3 to recalibrate is very easy, there are many YouTube videos on recalibrating a CNC table. Call the guy and ask which software is used to run the table is the first step. There should be indicators on the screen as to positions and as Plasma-art said you move one axis and look at the indicator to see how much it moved. And measure what it actually moved and you have an answer about if it need to recalibrated.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

It sounds like you simply need to adjust the turns ratios for you motors.
David
Kajeti
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kajeti »

adbuch wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:42 pm It sounds like you simply need to adjust the turns ratios for you motors.
David
acourtjester wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:38 pm If it is running Mach 3 to recalibrate is very easy, there are many YouTube videos on recalibrating a CNC table. Call the guy and ask which software is used to run the table is the first step. There should be indicators on the screen as to positions and as Plasma-art said you move one axis and look at the indicator to see how much it moved. And measure what it actually moved and you have an answer about if it need to recalibrated.
okay thanks! i ll gives those a try
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Kajeti wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:00 pm
adbuch wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:42 pm It sounds like you simply need to adjust the turns ratios for you motors.
David
acourtjester wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:38 pm If it is running Mach 3 to recalibrate is very easy, there are many YouTube videos on recalibrating a CNC table. Call the guy and ask which software is used to run the table is the first step. There should be indicators on the screen as to positions and as Plasma-art said you move one axis and look at the indicator to see how much it moved. And measure what it actually moved and you have an answer about if it need to recalibrated.
okay thanks! i ll gives those a try
:Like :Like :Like
Let us know now you make out.
Thanks,
David
Kajeti
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Having size issues, size is double

Post by Kajeti »

So there is no mach program and where can i get one?
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

What software are you running exactly?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

If you know where the step per number is stored in the program you can do a simple calculation to correct them. This formula can be used for inch or MM. You mark the rail and tell the axis to move so far then measure it, that is the actual travel number. The current is what is noted in the software as the original steps per value. And the Expected is the measured distance. Do the calculations and change/save the number in the software and repeat the activity about 3 to 4 times until the expected and actual travel distance is the same (equal). It helps if you extend the travel distance to a greater distance each new time to get a more accurate number. :Like
steps per calulations.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Kajeti
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kajeti »

hes running mycnc plasma by spark robotics finally just called them and they had his info all saved and told me what to do.. what happen was instead of 1/32 it was set on 1/16 so it was doubling the size
Kajeti
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kajeti »

Now my next problem is i have all these tap files that are g codes that were saved by sheetcam but wont work with his current setup how do i go about saving a g code in sheet cam as a dxf file
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Kajeti wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:19 pm hes running mycnc plasma by spark robotics finally just called them and they had his info all saved and told me what to do.. what happen was instead of 1/32 it was set on 1/16 so it was doubling the size
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you've got it sorted out.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Kajeti wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:20 pm Now my next problem is i have all these tap files that are g codes that were saved by sheetcam but wont work with his current setup how do i go about saving a g code in sheet cam as a dxf file
Are you looking to convert tap files to dxf?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is some information that may help you.

viewtopic.php?t=18226
tap to dxf.jpg

Kajeti
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kajeti »

adbuch wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:24 pm Here is some information that may help you.

viewtopic.php?t=18226
tap to dxf.jpg
Thats what i m aiming for but i do not know how to reverse it or what the offset was
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Kajeti wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:38 pm
adbuch wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:24 pm Here is some information that may help you.

viewtopic.php?t=18226
tap to dxf.jpg
Thats what i m aiming for but i do not know how to reverse it or what the offset was
I think the offset would be 1/2 the kerf width used when the cut file was created. So maybe 0.025" to 0.040" (1/2 kerf width) depending on the original cutter/consumables used. Do you have an example tap file for us to play with? I'm not sure if this forum allows the .tap format for attachments. Let me see.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a file I created with Aspire and saved the toolpath as a .tap file. Then I compressed it to save as a .zip file.
TAP FILE.zip
When opened the code will look like this.
tap file image.jpg
So if you would like to take one of your tap files and compress using bitzipper or equivalent and post the zip file,
then we can take a look.

David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”