Linear bearing.

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Linear bearing.

Post by OTHill »

Hi I'm looking for this bearing . Can someone steer me in the right direction please?
20220823_150817.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
OTHill

Re: Linear bearing.

Post by OTHill »

Ok I got it! Scraped away more gunk and found some other numbers.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

OTHill wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:26 pm Ok I got it! Scraped away more gunk and found some other numbers.
:Like :Like :Like
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

you can service them and replace the balls
isopropyl alcohol/ surgical spirit will clean best and leave no residue or methylated spirit..... probably best to wash with paraffin/ kerosene first + clean rails too.

I am not sure what is the best lube to use for them after they are cleaned, I have used silicone lube before but I think I may try a lathe / mill slideway lube that has low or zero slip stick properties.... just a thought to consider.

you can buy steel, stainless steel and silicon nitride ceramic balls, and I suspect zirconium balls too..... although it's probably worth considering which one you want to be the sacrificial surface and is cheaper to replace..... hence the zirconium balls are probably not the best choice and they are likely to grind the rail down imo
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks! I'm building a complete new carriage. It will roll on 4 ball bearings.Ive already done the y slides long ago.Some how grease type bearings and plasma dust in my mind don't belong together.
20220830_111404.jpg
20220830_111358.jpg
This is the Y axis guide and now don't all laugh and say that won't work because it has worked for 5 years or more and totally without maintenance. I might see if I can post some of my new carriage build. I've found the fastcut table to be very very hard to service.

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

OTHill, very clever, I have no doubt it work very well and be much less to maintain. Plasma dust ruins those reciprocating linear slide bearings fairly quick which is why I prefer the V wheel bearings your using. I would use a reciprocating linear bearing on a Z axis only where the distance traveled is minimal and v wheels everywhere else. Would like to see your carriage build when completed!
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

the v rails in my opinion would be best for plasma.

unfortunately I'd need to either make them or import them so I'm happy with my 6x roller bearings running on 2x2.... but it's not the best as it wears a track over time and the bearings need a brush and blow down clean from time to time to remove crud but it works and it's cost effective (cheap relative to what I do as a hobbist)

I am sure someone will be about soon to spout the virtues of high speed precision linear rails and bellows.... but I'm not convinced with case hardened steel swarf / dust from plasma cutting as it gets everywhere over time unless you cut submerged or very near to it.

I am just a cheapo non ventilated setup and without a water tray.... I just use a fan inlet I sort of direct below the cut (mixed flow 6" nothing fancy or expensive.... it works good enough but not brilliant (cost effective)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You showed your now I show mine :HaHa I use standard ball bearings easy to find and replace ( I have not had to yet, I use sealed bearings to keep the dust out). :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I like your design Tom :Like Very nicely done.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

very robust and well thought out Tom, and really good well explained video clip.

who's bearings do you use? are they genuine skf / something branded with rubber seals or cheapo Chinese?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I use VXB for some of my smaller stuff. Like English Wheel anvil bearings. Sealed of course. I am curious what Tom uses.
I do use SKF or equivalent for my Power Hammer kits.
David
bearings 1.jpg
bearings 2.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The small ball bearings are 6001 RS from eBay cheap, the flange ball bearings are from Surplus Center very fair priced. With my setup there is really no great strain on any of the bearing and they are all rubber sealed. Any member wants the DXF files just ask, or other info too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131009262833
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Du ... 1-08-2.axd
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

robertspark wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:33 pm the v rails in my opinion would be best for plasma.

unfortunately I'd need to either make them or import them so I'm happy with my 6x roller bearings running on 2x2.... but it's not the best as it wears a track over time and the bearings need a brush and blow down clean from time to time to remove crud but it works and it's cost effective (cheap relative to what I do as a hobbist)

I am sure someone will be about soon to spout the virtues of high speed precision linear rails and bellows.... but I'm not convinced with case hardened steel swarf / dust from plasma cutting as it gets everywhere over time unless you cut submerged or very near to it.

I am just a cheapo non ventilated setup and without a water tray.... I just use a fan inlet I sort of direct below the cut (mixed flow 6" nothing fancy or expensive.... it works good enough but not brilliant (cost effective)
I'm only using the v rails because the table came that way. Building my own I would go Tom's way with sq.tube and bearings. Thanks all for chiming in.Allan

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”