Buying new table need your opinions.

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Andrewbcdueck
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Buying new table need your opinions.

Post by Andrewbcdueck »

Hey, I'm from Canada and am looking into a new table. I have talked to my local metal equipment supplier and they want to get me a Machitech which is Canadian built. I have also been looking at Boss Tables and Shop Sabre although I feel like Boss may be more of my preference.
Here are the specs for the two tables.
Boss and Machitech. Which table would you want to buy? I'd just like to get an idea. I have my own opinion but want to see what you guys say when confronted with the specs.
First BOSS
Flachcut Industrial CAD-CAM-CNC completely integrated. LEARN MORE Electronic Components are manufactured solely in the USA Windows Operating System Fanless Industrial computer for adverse conditions ClearPath® Servo System Stingray DTHC (Digital Torch Height Control) Helical Gears Industrial motor wiring
1000 IPM Rapid Speed
10 inch clearance under gantry
True Shape AUTO Nesting
Turns off THC while crossing a previous cut on the sheet to prevent unwanted diving Automatic Lead-in on Restart THC Performance History Chart Progress Meter Gives estimated time of cut completion Motor Current Sensing Water level of the table controlled pneumatically
5 Inch over-sized cut area to allow easy material placement Planetary gear box ( NO BELTS OR CHAINS) Collision Detection Feather Touch (Ohmic Sensing) Magnetic Torch (Breakaway Torch) Table under storage- 5×10 sheet will fit under a 5×10 table, 4×8 under 4×8 table Ect.
Industrial Bearing for long life and rigidity Welded frame and adjustable feet to level your table Ball Screw Z Axis Helical Gears Roller ball assisted loading Surge protection Operator station / Computer Cabinet 22" Operation screen

MACHITECH
Available sizes: 5’x10' or 6’x12'
Unitized contruction, built with compactness in mind Magnetic Torch Breakaway System Machitech Automatic Torch Height Controller Powerful 940 oz-in Nema 34 motors with zero backslash drive system Self-cleaning DualVee Linear slide system Fully-welded and Machined tables (Downdraft or Water) 6"x6" Aluminum Gantry Agma 10 Straight Rack & Pinion on all axis Cables and hoses are protected by an Enclosed Power Track Table Capacity: 1.5" Clearance Under Gantry: 5" Cutting Speed: 500 IPM (related to process) Max Speed Traverse: 600 IPM
Repeatability: 0.003"
Positioning Accuracy: 0.004
19" display.
No water level adjustment.

Why they feel they are better!
Full part list and electrical schematics On-site installation and tailored training included Free lifetime remote support

I've attached a picture of each.
My cost on each before shipping
Boss Tables $43,000 CAD
Machitech $47,000 CAD

Which would you Buy?
Screenshot 2022-06-01 080212.png
Screenshot 2022-06-01 080148.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Buying new table need your opinions.

Post by DieselFumes »

They are both so nice. If it were me I would go with the Boss table as you can't go wrong with the Flashcut software and control package. Everything else is just metal, motors, and wires, the heart of the system is on the software and controls. Not sure what the other machine uses for controls but the fact that they don't mention it worries me a little. If your in Canada you may want to look at Fastcut CNC in BC as well.
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

I dont like my planetary servos, they make an awful noise. I am switching to 1 inch wide belt drive, Many high end cnc machines use timing belts and go day and night for years. I like clearpath servos tho
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
Andrewbcdueck
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrewbcdueck »

The Machitech runs SilverCut I believe its actually just Machitech branded Flashcut so almost the same. But probably has a few tweaks.
Andrewbcdueck
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Andrewbcdueck »

The Machitech rack and pinion is only about 1/2inch wide, looks pretty sketchy
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

What is your budget for a new table? Now, some people think I am going to push you toward the Samson 510 table (PlasmaCam's "Big Brother") but that is not the case.

For me, it is all about the software. It really doesn't matter to me HOW a torch is moved into position, fired, and moved along a cut path. The end result is pretty much the same. I like the Samson 510 table because of the DesignEdge software, which is superior (in my humble opinion) to everything else out here. However, that said, I like the JD Squared tables, and I know little to nothing about the two brands you mentioned.

I do sell a rail riser kit for the PlasmaCam DHC2 and Samson 510 tables which raises the rails and gantry to give the owner fully six inches of gantry clearance. That helps, but it all comes at a cost, when you ahve to pay PlasmaCam an additional $998.00 just to turn on the software feature that allows you to take advantage of the additional Z height.

I don't know ... the way things are going, I am more inclined to advise people to look at laser tables now. It is still a bigger investment, but a laser that can cut a respectable metal thickness runs circles around ANY plasma table. I am even looking at selling off some things and converting the money into a nice laser table. I would dive head first into financing a nice KERN Laser Table if I thought the world was going to hold together for more than 10 to 12 months longer. I have so little confidence in the future of humanity, that I just can't make any long term financial decisions now.

I would buy a laser if I could see a way to get into one for CASH though. Right now, I don't have a spare 1/4 million dollars lying around. :Sad

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I agree with Joe on the Design Edge. This is the "greatest thing since sliced bread", in my opinion - for vector editing. I have heard good things about the Maverick tables, associated with Jim Colt of Hypertherm fame. I thought that Robert Johnson had said that they were out of Canada, but a google search puts them in Florida.

Another table I came across recently is the Go Fab series. These look nice, are reasonably priced, but come with no real editing software. So maybe a Maverick or Go Fab coupled with a single seat design license for Design Edge. Just a thought.

David
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Well if they both run Flashcut your in good shape. As for the 1/2 wide rack on the Machintech I don't see a problem with that but I would be interested to know if both used straight cut gear rack or helical cut rack. Helical cut rack would be a plus if either of them use that style rack. I know many really like the Designedge software and I am sure it is awesome but its not awesome enough that I would sacrifice a rigid table and robust drive system, or relinquish my hard earned dollars to Plasmacam..

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”