Replacement PC Win7, Mach3

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Replacement PC Win7, Mach3

Post by djreiswig »

Been having some issues lately with my Dell Optiplex 760. It's running Win7 & Mach3. It's giving me a 1&3 blink code which I believe is a memory fault. I've removed and reinstalled the RAM and replaced the RAM with different sticks. Sometimes I can get it to boot and am able to cut for hours. Sometimes it will restart continuously until I fiddle with it.
Tried swapping out the computer with another 760 a while back and installing the old hard drive. That worked for a while, but now that computer is having the same issue.
I have all of my hardware inside a box with a fan and filter, so I don't think it is a dirt issue. The computer looks very clean inside.
I'm wondering what would be the best replacement computer. I have heard a lot of people are going with the fanless computers with solid state drives. Would this be a more durable option?
According to what I've seen online, I believe I could clone my old hard drive to a SSD so I don't have to reinstall and set up everything. I have a program that I use that I had to do some funky stuff to get it to work, so I don't think I can reinstall that one on a different drive and have any hope of it working. Possibly could use the old hdd as an external drive. I also hate setting up new computers. :Sad
I am using a smooth stepper, so I don't need a parallel port.
Suggestions?
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Replacement PC Win7, Mach3

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Did you see Tom's find? I don't think you can clone a drive for for an older OS to be used on a newer OS machine. Normally cloning is to replace the HD on your existing machine..

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=33781
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Yeah, that's a Win10 PC. I need to stay with Win7 because of Mach3. Win7 is fine for me. I would like to clone my drive and stay with the same OS.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
SegoMan DeSigns

Well.......... When you find a source for them let me know. I put Win 10 / 11 and the SmartSYNC in the same category...
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Agree. But they gotta keep coming up with the next big thing.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
SegoMan DeSigns

Very little W7 OS machines showed up on Ebay, I found these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=win+7+OS+com ... nb_sb_noss
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I found a few 760's on ebay and Amazon, but the freight is way out there. I guess the easiest route is to just find a different 760 and swap the drive.
I guess I could just send my box in along with some cash and go Linux. That's the latest greatest.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

just get another pc and install W7 on it.

I'd suggest something like a Dell thin client.

any old pc will do, it will not have to be anything special of the last 10 years.

if you need a license and copy then I'd use something like this
https://softkeys.uk/products/windows-7- ... 1oEALw_wcB

.... if you want Linuxcnc in a box. all set up for plug and play, drop me a pm .... you will need to buy Mesa card and I'll help out with one that just will replace the smooth stepper, I will need more into to make it as close to plug and play as possible.

I could do a windows box for you too... but I suspect that shipping won't be cost effective for you and just doing it local.

happy to help, I'm not plugging a business as I have a day job but like I said the offer is there
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

whilst your machine is sort of still booting NOW is the time to make sure you have backup copies of all licences such as mach3 and sheetcam stored somewhere safe

anything I provide I could install whatever software you want plus make sure it works (on Linux and windows) but you will need to sort out the licenses when it arrives
I can also make the Mesa firmware custom to your needs so it would be plug and play with a Linux replacement.... it may be possible to dual boot and provide backup hard drives or restore memory sticks.... just in case you do something wrong or something fails. or just have 2 thin clients... if one fails plug the other in and you are back to square one ...
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Thanks Robert. Appreciate the info. I don't think I can do Linux without sending my box in to CandCNC due to their custom firmware for the DTHC. I'd like to stay with Windows/Mach. I believe I have a recovery cd that came with the original Optiplex. So I should be able to get Windows 7 on a new box.
I will check out the thin clients. I just loathe setting up new computers. But if that's a more durable option, then I will have to deal with it.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Hmm. Don't know anything about these... Which would you recommend?
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=de ... _PrefLoc=1
I also don't have the goofy video plug. Is there a vga adapter available for these?
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Robert interesting part of your post

Have you done this, and what about the online verification process to complete the install??
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

After some more research, I believe it was the power supply. The new one came and I installed it today. So far, so good. Also managed to clone the hard drive, so now I have a working backup in case that ever crashes.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

acourtjester wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:57 am Robert interesting part of your post

Have you done this, and what about the online verification process to complete the install??
sorry I missed this yes I have used them or one very similar to them before a few times (at least 4 times)
I've bought a bulk (5) set of office 2016 licences about 3 years ago and use them on all my machines and at least 2 friends, no licence issues and they update as updates are available. I've bought 2 possibly 3 windows 10 home / pro licences for various pcs I've set up for people.

I will be honest and admit buying licences that looked dodgy at least twice and turned out to be the case for w10 / 7 via eBay, and had monies returned under claim.... too good to be true, but in my defence I was formatting laptops that came with W7/w10 and did have licences before they were wiped, it's been a very long time since I build pcs in component form that would not have had windows licences when they were new so I'm sorry but I ain't paying full price for a device that came with a licence to have another licence.

I am on the cusp of converting everything personal to Linux Debian anyway as I won't be using w11 unless I'm given a work laptop with it on which would be locked down anyway from installing stuff and is works it management issue.

there really is no need to use Windows any more imo as Linux is very mature, stable and easy to install and setup now. unless that is you have a need for W7 like this post that I've taken off topic.

W7 is no longer supported by Microsoft so the only way to obtain a licence is either via the device you buy... or other means these days.... unless you have a disc / copy.... and I think it was W7 where Microsoft changed the licencing terms and conditions to say something along the lines that you could only install a licence 3 times and you had to buy another licence or something close to that... before that you owed the licence you bought and could use it many times for your own devices providing you only ever used it once at any one time

ditch the licence go hippie and smoke some Linux.... free may like beer should be..... it's the future! :)
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

djreiswig wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:45 pm After some more research, I believe it was the power supply. The new one came and I installed it today. So far, so good. Also managed to clone the hard drive, so now I have a working backup in case that ever crashes.
glad you got it sorted plus have a robust backup plan for the future
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Thanks. I'm very intrigued by Linux. Maybe some day I'll experiment with it
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks Robert about 3 years ago I bought a new PC with Win 10, which had the standard 90 day free trial for Office. I also bought a free standing office home and student licence from a large retailer Legal type, and installed it on the PC. When they wiped the free copy they took the bought licence too. Microsoft gave me the old single finger salute, to bad jack, no kiss either. :Sad :Mad
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

libre office is free and similar to office, not the same, probably not as good.... but close and free.

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/

I don't like office 365 (I understand why and the concept, just not for me by principle). the subscription/ leasing model is not something for me, each to their own, again understand the concept and reason, I just find it easier to keep track of costs buying stuff outright, than on drip

just finding it all a bit money grabbing.... appreciate they got to keep shareholders happy and feed the staff, and shoes on the kids feet..... but not when there are free alternatives about.... take it out of business and give something back to the home and personal user. (fusion 360 model.... may change again I guess at some point).... freecad linkStage 3 branch is very similar or close to fusion360 in appearance

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

+1 for solid state drive.
David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”