Vicon Retrofit

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Vicon Retrofit

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

Well, it is coming to life finally. I never used a CNC before this and have learned everything on the fly with this rebuild, but I love every second of it. New controller, motors, and torch. The first cuts were last night. I still need to tweak some settings, add limit switches, and look into THC, but we are cutting, and I could get the grin off my face last night, LOL

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Vicon Retrofit

Post by acourtjester »

Great progress, I would suggest you improve the starting portion of the G-code to have a pierce height and cut height or you will be eating nozzles very quickly. You should have a pierce height of about 0.160" and cut height of about 0.060". Not knowing what program you are using to generate the G-code but it should have a plasma post processor to plan plasma operations, to include these functions automatically in the G-code.
I also would suggest you look into adding a floating head switch and Ohmic sensor, better both. This will make each cut start the correct pierce height.
Here is a video showing that operation in action.
Last edited by acourtjester on Wed May 11, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

I am using Fusion 360 and I have zero THC right now, but in the future hopefully. Post Processors I am using is for a Mach3 currently I could not find one for a Powermax 45 XP plasma.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Oh man, what a great feeling, I know that feeling! Well done. With some fine tuning like AC suggested above you will be set.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

When looking for a post processor you look for the operation or electronics you are using. In Mach 3 there are many different one, a generic one is Mach plasma, other like Mach plasma THC. The info on 45 XP will give you the cutting spects for the material you are cutting not G-code generation.
The 45 XP will show the pierce and cut height for you to enter into the post processor planning. You are making great progress as with us all it is one step at a time, it will fall into place as you go forward.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

acourtjester wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:15 am Great progress, I would suggest you improve the starting portion of the G-code to have a pierce height and cut height or you will be eating nozzles very quickly. You should have a pierce height of about 0.160" and cut height of about 0.060". Not knowing what program you are using to generate the G-code but it should have a plasma post processor to plan plasma operations, to include these functions automatically in the G-code.
I also would suggest you look into adding a floating head switch and Ohmic sensor, better both. This will make each cut start the correct pierce height.
Here is a video showing that operation in action.
Are some of these THC setups independent of the main controller, or is that possible? I thought that is what I read in another post, but I could be wrong.
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

I am trying to wrap my head around how this works with the controller on when to move the torch up or down in relation to the gcode.

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok what this is a stand alone THC, which means it is separate from the G-code. It is placed between the controllers Z axis wiring to the driver. Once the G-code has positioned the torch at the cut height this THC then takes over control of the Z axis movements. I don't remember if he used 2 motors that move the torch separately, for the THC operations. It senses the arc voltage and moves the Z axis to follow the surface of the material. I have tried to build that exact device to use it but could not get the unit to even do basic function like showing info on the touch screen communicating with the arduino. Now I will say I was not the only one, with problems, but that does not mean it will not or could not work. He shows his working and you may get it to function for you. I tried both the Uno and Mega arduinos with his different firmware neither worked. I cannot say why I had a problem, I am saying try if you like it may work for you fine.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

acourtjester wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:41 am Ok what this is a stand alone THC, which means it is separate from the G-code. It is placed between the controllers Z axis wiring to the driver. Once the G-code has positioned the torch at the cut height this THC then takes over control of the Z axis movements. I don't remember if he used 2 motors that move the torch separately, for the THC operations. It senses the arc voltage and moves the Z axis to follow the surface of the material. I have tried to build that exact device to use it but could not get the unit to even do basic function like showing info on the touch screen communicating with the arduino. Now I will say I was not the only one, with problems, but that does not mean it will not or could not work. He shows his working and you may get it to function for you. I tried both the Uno and Mega arduinos with his different firmware neither worked. I cannot say why I had a problem, I am saying try if you like it may work for you fine.
So in a perfect world :HaHa , if I add a Z-axis from my controller, this setup will read the voltage and adjust the height? I assume I will need a voltage divider to send to the THC controller? Sorry, I will still have dumb questions like these...
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The dumb is the one not asked. the voltage divider is correct. I think you have a 45 Xp it should have a voltage divider in it Look on the back there should be a 14 pin connector there, and I believe they come sett for the 50:1 output. I also think you will have a driver and motor for the normal Z axis operation that the G-code will operate. The stand alone THC will drive another driver and motor to move the torch in addition to the normal Z axis. So it will look like 2 motors to do both operations. The standard THC will look at the voltage divider output and send signal to the BOB to run the standard Z axis drive and motor As one operation, signals from the G-code and the THC will work together not as separate drive signals as the stand alone does.
One step at a time you will get there,that is the great learning experiences of the DIY path. :Like :Like :Yay
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

acourtjester wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:18 pm The dumb is the one not asked. the voltage divider is correct. I think you have a 45 Xp it should have a voltage divider in it Look on the back there should be a 14 pin connector there, and I believe they come sett for the 50:1 output. I also think you will have a driver and motor for the normal Z axis operation that the G-code will operate. The stand alone THC will drive another driver and motor to move the torch in addition to the normal Z axis. So it will look like 2 motors to do both operations. The standard THC will look at the voltage divider output and send signal to the BOB to run the standard Z axis drive and motor As one operation, signals from the G-code and the THC will work together not as separate drive signals as the stand alone does.
One step at a time you will get there,that is the great learning experiences of the DIY path. :Like :Like :Yay
Thank you, that clears a lot up for me. Now on to ordering LOL

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”