Enter The ARCDROID

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Enter The ARCDROID

Post by Joe Jones »

A friend sent me a link to this website. Apparently there is an entry level CNC plasma cutting machine called The ARCDROID. It is an interesting concept. I am not interested ENOUGH to buy one just to play with it, and to compare it to the PlasmaCam table and software, but I can see where this might be worth a serious look.

It does not seem to have any height control, and the demo videos ONLY show it cutting thicker materials, so I will assume that the warping of thin materials causes problems that the inventors did not want to draw attention to, in their promotional vids.

I could actually see buying one of these as a plotter to trace patterns and then scale them up.

It is an interesting machine, nonetheless.

Joe

http://arcdroidcnc.com/

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Enter The ARCDROID

Post by Scratch »

Interesting...
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

If this takes off, PlasmaCam will have no choice but to lower the cost of the Go Torch again. After all, a machine that can trace patterns and convert the movements into a design, and then cut that design is more appealing than an entry level Go Torch that can do almost nothing without a lot of expensive upgrades.

I will watch this one closely.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

If a small camera with crosshairs was added to a PlasmaCam table or the smaller Go Torch machine, it could be used as a plotter. The X and Y movements would need to be slowed down considerably, but with the addition of at least BASIC DESIGN software, the carriage could be moved around a shape, with the CTRL+Q command drawing points at selected spots. Then the software could be used to draw the shape by connecting the dots.

I know that a certain type of game controller can be used to control the PlasmaCam tables, but I am wondering if one could operate the carriage and gantry using a joystick? With a joystick, and a crosshairs camera, the PlasmaCam table would probably serve well as a tracing machine / plotter.

I think I'm going to have to find a small webcam with a close focus capability, and try this, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

This is actually a pretty cool idea, I like it. I have no purpose for it due to its small size but for some applications I could certainly see this being useful.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I think it needs to have a Z axis added. Then a plotter pen could draw shapes and designs. Right now, I don't know if it has an additional circuit that could be used to trigger a solenoid, or some other device to lower a felt tip pen down to the material. As for plasma cutting, I think it would fail with thin material, as the warping issue manifested itself. This is basically a robotic version of the old pantograph devices we used way back in the 60s, to trace things.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”