stepper motors getting hot

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Pipeliner96
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

stepper motors getting hot

Post by Pipeliner96 »

I have a Torchmate 1 table that I replaced the controls with Myplasm controller and 5056E drivers. I have 175 oz inch motors. After cutting 3 - 14" circles the motors were 240 degrees. I never had checked how hot the 80 oz inch motors got and I am wondering if this is normal or if I have something that I need to correct.

Thanks for any input
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: stepper motors getting hot

Post by adbuch »

I can't speak to stepper motors on a cnc plasma table since my Plasmacam uses servos. But both of my Avid CNC Pro 4848 router tables do use Nema 34 960 in-oz stepper motors and I have not noticed them getting hot at all.
David
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

have you got them set to the right amperage setting for the motors.

they can get warm but not really hot

have you got them wired correctly if they are 6 or 8 wire steppers?

what voltage are you running the motors on?

do you have details of the stepper motors (part number or model?)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I'm guessing that the current setting on the drivers is set wrong. What driver, and which particular motor are you using. I do now recall that with one of my hobby cnc diy machines I had the current set too high and the motors did indeed get hot. I figured this out right away and changed the setting for the correct current. Robertspark jogged my memory on that one.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

A couple hundred degrees is not abnormal but is on the hot side of things and your a little hotter than that. I would do as these guys say and check the documentation that came with your retrofit and check your driver settings to be sure they are correct.
Pipeliner96
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Pipeliner96 »

I have a Myplasm controller. The microstepping is set at 1600 (1/8) I don't know exactly what that means but it shows green beside it. When I started the program it was on 6400 (1/32) and it showed red beside it and said not recommended for my gear set up. I changed it until I got green then set the switches on the drivers to match. The drivers are KL-5056E Motors are 23HT175 from Microkinetics They are 4 wire motors. I just now found where to set the current so I will open the box and check that. The voltage is set at 48
Thanks for the input.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Pipeliner96
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Pipeliner96 »

I reset the current settings to match my amps on my motors and it took all the growling out and after more running than I did before the motor was 81 degrees. works a lot better.

Thanks to everyone for the help
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Pipeliner96 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:17 pm I reset the current settings to match my amps on my motors and it took all the growling out and after more running than I did before the motor was 81 degrees. works a lot better.

Thanks to everyone for the help
:Like :Like :Like :Like
fridayrack
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by fridayrack »

I can't address stepper engines on a cnc plasma table since my Plasmacam utilizes servos. Be that as it may, both of my Avid CNC Pro 4848 switch tables in all actuality do utilize Nema 34 960 in-oz stepper engines and I have not seen them getting hot by any means.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

fridayrack wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:53 am I can't address stepper engines on a cnc plasma table since my Plasmacam utilizes servos. Be that as it may, both of my Avid CNC Pro 4848 switch tables in all actuality do utilize Nema 34 960 in-oz stepper engines and I have not seen them getting hot by any means.
That's very interesting that you just happen to own both a Plasmacam table and 2 Avid CNC Pro4848 tables. Please show us some photos of your setup - if you do indeed actually own and operate these. Otherwise, I would say you are getting off to a pretty "rocky" start here on the Plasmaspider Forum.
David
stepper motors text copied.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”