armor - Best Way To Cut It

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
ryno fab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

armor - Best Way To Cut It

Post by ryno fab »

hello all, just got my computer back. havent been on in a while.
met up with a guy who builds armor. alot of his parts an peices are a bit spendy to ship up to dj alaska. he wants me to cut 300 of these little 2x4ish plates out of 20 ga stainless. that shouldnt be an issue. its the ten 1/8 holes in each one that im worried about. coldest i can go with my plasma cutter is 30A. havent messed with stainless much. tips, tricks, thoughts anybody?
nuno115
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: armor

Post by nuno115 »

Someone recommended to me the use of nitrogen (instead of compressed air) so that there is less warping.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

You don't mention what plasma system you have or what type of cnc cutting machine and height control you are using....some will cut decent holes, some will not!

Nitrogen in an air plasma will not make a noticeable difference in regards to warpage....and it likeley will produce a little more dross. The only real advantage with nitrogen is slightly longer torch electrode life.

If you could submerge the stainless underwater...then use nitrogen....you would get an oxide free cut edge on stainless as the oxygen in the ambient air will not be surrounding the cut edge.

On the small holes...if they are critical, just use the plasma to pierce, then use a cobalt drill to finish drill the holes. Cobalt is required as the plasma cut holes will be hardened.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
ryno fab
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ryno fab »

welllll... that job kinda fell through... but i still want to try it to hone the skills. lol. i have a p cam dh2. i made a water table for it so cutting under water is possible. i will def try it out. thanks

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”