New Pipe and Tubing Cutter In The Works

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: New Pipe and Tubing Cutter In The Works

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:06 am Three days in a row, it was my sincere intention to get out to the shop to continue on the pipe cutting project. All three days, I have been overcome by unstoppable fatigue. I don't know what is going on now, but I am finding it very difficult to scare up any extra energy.

Joe
Take a day off the normal routine and go enjoy nature, we 24/7 build it types needs some down time to regenerate.. That's what I love about living in the sticks I can jump on the SxS and get away from the chaos..
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

A friend of mine recently had those same sort of symptoms. He finally went in and got tested for covid. He tested positive and they were able to give him some sort of new "covid pill" that really helped him out.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:37 pm I stand with you on that, how about the "Doctor in the Box" routine, walk in and get seen.
Again, politics.

I am about to DUMP my "Christian Health Share" membership. Last year I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance with two paramedics. One injected me with large doses of morphine injections for the SHOOT ME NOW! pain I was experiencing. The hospital sent me home unable to stand, or walk, or breathe, or even wipe my .... because of the unbelievable back pain. I offered to pay CASH for a room for two days, so perhaps SOMEONE could bring me a glass of water, or maybe help me to adjust a pillow, or even to clean a bedpan. Nope. NOTHING. "You don't have health insurance, and we can't give you a room just for pain."

A certain unnamed Kenyan born spawn of Satan %^*&ed up my health insurance coverage. The "Christian Health Share" that is currently collecting some $500.00 PER MONTH from me because I signed up for their "Largest Donor" option ... you know ... to help them out ... they informed me that hospital E.R. visits are not covered. Neither is the ride in the ambulance, nor the emergency care and the morphine injections given to me along the way. They offer no coverage for a hospital room as a result of an E.R. visit. No money for the MRI or the X-rays. Not a dime for the Rx of pain pills, muscle relaxers, and topical Rx pain ointments sent home with me. My three neighbors CARRIED me into my home and set me down into a recliner where I remained for three days, unable to move, and too far from my gun. They checked in on me as time allowed.

Since then, a dental visit... not covered. Eye exam? Nope. Glasses? not a chance. Blood pressure Rx? NOPE! They have spent six months telling me what they DON'T "share." I went to an insurance broker. "Oh, yes, Mr. Jones! We found a great policy for you!
It covers all of those expenses. The premiums are only $1,860.00 PER MONTH, with a $6,000.00 deductible! Just make out a check for two months' premiums to get it started..."

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:26 pm A friend of mine recently had those same sort of symptoms. He finally went in and got tested for covid. He tested positive and they were able to give him some sort of new "covid pill" that really helped him out.
I hope he enjoys the last two years of his life.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Lets get off of the "covid" topic. That would not end well.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:09 pm Take a day off the normal routine and go enjoy nature, we 24/7 build it types needs some down time to regenerate.. That's what I love about living in the sticks I can jump on the SxS and get away from the chaos..
Sorry. Can't do that. I don't like sand in my eyes.

Joe
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

They do make goggles ya know..
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:49 am They do make goggles ya know..
You missed the reference. :Sad I will not bury my head in the sand.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Got the pulley bored out to 3/4". My first experience with a lathe.

Joe

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:38 pm Got the pulley bored out to 3/4". My first experience with a lathe.

Joe

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

HI Joe good to see your feeling better, funny but I cut things on a lathe with it turning the other direction and the tool flipped. You got the job done that's what counts. When cutting on the OD that direction will be very hard to see as the cutter will be on the back side of the item you are cutting. Here is a video of me turning an OC for the offset bearing holders I use on my tables. little ong winded

Here is another video on how to cut a keyway in a shaft on a lathe, it may be handy if you need to cut keyway for the project.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Okay, so ... it cost a bit. A little over $2,000.00 for two units.

I went to Preston, MO to help a man with his Samson table, and on the way back to Kentucky, I just had to swing by Grissly Tools in Springfield, MO.

I have been looking for a solution to the rock stable gantry and carriage issue for my pipe cutter. I found it!

Now all I have to do is source the tracks and roller trolley SEPARATE from the rest of the unit. Still, this would be an awesome solution for the pipe cutter, since the trolley on the round steel rods is rock solid.

I was going to try to fabricate something with 80/20 and such, but with the prices of aluminum extrusion, and all of the connectors and braces and brackets, and the engineering needed to make it anywhere NEAR as solid as this off-the-shelf solution would have cost a fortune.

So I am going to move the track and trolley to a separate rectangular frame, and use the two roller stands with my large radial arm saw. :Yay The torch crane arm will mount on top of the trolley. This is going to be AWESOME!

Joe

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... top/t28174
ROLLER STAND WITH TRACK.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

They even make a shorter one that will fit a DHC2 table quite nicely!

Joe

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... top/t28173
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:39 pm HI Joe good to see your feeling better, funny but I cut things on a lathe with it turning the other direction and the tool flipped. You got the job done that's what counts. When cutting on the OD that direction will be very hard to see as the cutter will be on the back side of the item you are cutting. Here is a video of me turning an OC for the offset bearing holders I use on my tables. little ong winded

Here is another video on how to cut a keyway in a shaft on a lathe, it may be handy if you need to cut keyway for the project.
Tom - Joe has his spindle turning in the forward direction which is typical for most operations - at least the ones I do on my lathes. Every once in a while I will need to put it in reverse with the cutting tool on the far side of the chuck/material being cut. This is usually when I am using a specially ground tool for chamfers. But thanks for sharing your lathe videos - very interesting.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I know absolutely nothing about using a lathe, except for watching guys turn brake drums back in the 70s. I suspect that the direction is not critical for most cutting. As long as the bit is cutting the material without "hogging" out material, and the manual feed is done to a logical speed that you can see, as I did with these 20 pulleys, I guess it all works well.

Oddly, the pulley is aluminum, but the flanges are steel! I tried to shave them down just a bit without success. I was getting sparks, which I thought was not possible with aluminum. I guess they bond those flanges onto the pulley after the fact? They are so close to the correct diameter that I am guessing it won't matter, but I did want them to ride beneath the cylinder being cut with at least a few thousandths of an inch of clearance. I may try again to turn them down, but they aren't attached very securely. I popped one of the flanges off of a pulley by coming into it too hard or too fast with the bit. Or maybe I was at the wrong angle? Or?? Anyway, it is not that critical. It isn't enough of a difference that it will change the angle of the pipe rolling on the two rollers. There are other ways to take them down as well if this little lathe doesn't work well.

I am anxious to create the crane arm now. For the initial test, I am just going to throw the assembly onto the grates with the rollers in place. They aren't needed for the pipe cutter, so at some point I will have to create a lightweight rectangular frame to hold the trolley track in place.

On the plus side, I learned that I CAN order the individual parts from Grizzly. At least, they all have individual part numbers. They are out of stock on everything right now.

Joe
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

for someone who says "Not diving into the political cesspool here,".... you certainly keep going back to the subject with provocative statements again and again are you trolling for a response?

why not just simply stop posting these views on this forum and stick to the forum subject matter?

I am sure that there are other forums that would welcome your views.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

thanks Robert for trying to get the focus for the site back in view.
For those interested in learning about lathe operations there is a great number of video by an old shop teacher with lots of info. I am not a machinist by any means, I look at what I want to do and the tools I have to do it and figure out how to use the tool.
https://www.youtube.com/c/mrpete222/videos
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:29 am for someone who says "Not diving into the political cesspool here,".... you certainly keep going back to the subject with provocative statements again and again are you trolling for a response?

why not just simply stop posting these views on this forum and stick to the forum subject matter?

The most AMAZING thing about these online forums is that as a mature, responsible adult, you are not REQUIRED to read any post, or any reply. Yet you READ them, and then you B*TCH about them!

In case you are unaware of it, EVERYONE is now, or will soon BE affected by this New World Order GENOCIDE campaign to CULL the "herd." There is nothing "provocative" about stating that I will not take the jabs under any circumstances, and since it has been openly declared by the powers that be, that "the shortages will continue until EVERYONE is jabbed" the TRUE AGENDA behind this jab campaign should be crystal clear to everyone.

You know ... I used to be a member of GWRRA, the Gold Wing Road Riders Association. It was a large worldwide group of Goldwing owners who shared ONE common interest ... Goldwing motorcycles, motorcycle touring, etc. Oh sure, they have a forum, and there are a dozen other Goldwing themed forums out there. And like YOU and others like you, they want to stay focused on only that one thing ... Goldwing motorcycles.

However, part of the normal social interaction of people, ... part of seeing a person as having some DEPTH ... is knowing a bit more about the person, and the life he or she is leading, etc. It is what makes that person REAL.

Facebook was created for the sole purpose of dehumanizing people, creating degrees of separation to the point where people who don't interact with a single REAL human being BOAST about the thousands of "friends" they have on social media ... not ONE of them who would take the time to attend that person's birthday party, or wedding, or funeral, or bring a load of groceries to his home because he is not working and his family is hungry. Did your social media "friend" just go through a divorce? Did her spouse die, or cheat on her? Did his kids just get hit by a car? did his new business take off? Does anyone really CARE about those "friends"?

The Goldwing boards all die a slow, gruesome death of boredom, eventually. People can only talk about their preferred motor oil, and which drain plug seal to use for so long, and which tire gives you the smoothest ride ... before it is POINTLESS to visit the forums, or even attend the chapter meetings. No one can survive by "preaching to the choir." DIVERSITY is what makes us HUMAN. I dumped that organization years ago.

A forum that is shallow and superficial in nature becomes BORING and not worth visiting. How can a person have ANY feelings, or CARE at all about another person, if the only things one knows about that person is that he has a CNC plasma table?

Recently, someone posted, "My son died." Where was YOUR reply Robert Spark, telling him to stick to the subject of the forum? Was He trolling for a response?

I have to wonder how many people REALLY cared about that. I did not even know the man, or his son. I never met him, or spoke with him over the phone. However, this event was part of HIS life, and therefore, I cared enough to drift out of structured discussions about plasma torches and DXF files to take a moment out of my life to say, "I am sorry for your loss. How can I help?" Money cannot replace a lost son, and it certainly does not lessen the pain. Parents are not supposed to outlive their children. However, I also sent him a donation to help him with the costs associated with such a tragic event. I am not a rich man. I sent him money because I CARED about his loss, and the loss of income he MUST have suffered as a result of that long struggle that no parent should have to endure. I hope that others here stepped up as well.

When that Aussie guy "Mick" discovered that his shop was flooded, and all of his tools and machines were under water including his PlasmaCam table, I immediately offered to send him money to help him survive the (hopefully temporary) loss of income. I did not know him. I never met him. He was just another "user" on the PlasmaCam Owners Community Forum, but I damned sure wanted to help him. He declined my offer, perhaps out of sheer pride, and I hear he is back in business now. Good for him! Was I supposed to say, "Mick, what the %^$@ does your flooded shop have to do with this forum?! Stick to the topic!" He is a human being, and he was punched square in the gut by an eight foot deep FLOOD in his shop. In the words of Steve Martin ... "Well, Excuuuuuuseee Meeeeeeee for CARING!

I travel the country, to meet PlasmaCam table owners IN PERSON, to train them on the software, and to help them work out issues with their machines. I bother to learn something else about people, beyond which machines they own.

If the members of Plasma Spider are nothing more than anonymous usernames who own plasma tables, and that is the ONLY allowable topic to be discussed among people who have diverse lives but still share one common interest, then there is no further point to visiting this forum.

Joe
cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

Ok. Now lets see a machine cut large diameter pipe
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

robertspark wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:29 am for someone who says "Not diving into the political cesspool here,".... you certainly keep going back to the subject with provocative statements again and again are you trolling for a response?

Very much agree!!! Let's try to keep it all about plasma cutting and associated tools, machines, etc.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
ShowbizAsh
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ShowbizAsh »

Love your wotk Joe Jones. Total newby here so hopefully I dont sound to uneducated. I am presuming your pipe cutter can cut other shaps as well like box section and rectangle. Is that so?

I am just now looking to purchase my first plasma but I would like to look at this later. I know my customers will go nuts for it.

Ash
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Ash - I'm pretty sure Joe's design is only for cutting round parts - oil drums, large barrels, etc. There would need to be an added level of sophistication to rotate, position, and cut other shapes like box sections, rectangles, etc. This would need to be a true 4 axis setup: x, y, z, and rotation.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are neat videos out there showing plasma and laser cutting of square and rectangle tubing. I'm sure they have a very fast acting THC to follow the tube as it rotates and cuts. Like many things someone creates a great tool and another guy figures out how to push the envelope.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

https://www.sheetcam.com/Register/purchase

£170 / ~ $232 USD including the rotary plugin.... runs on any machine (not hardware locked to plasmacam or something else, provided you have the hardware).
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

adbuch wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:42 am Ash - I'm pretty sure Joe's design is only for cutting round parts - oil drums, large barrels, etc. There would need to be an added level of sophistication to rotate, position, and cut other shapes like box sections, rectangles, etc. This would need to be a true 4 axis setup: x, y, z, and rotation.
David
From page 1
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32850#p200886
It sounds like it will do everything including make fancy coffee. :HaHa
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”