New Pipe and Tubing Cutter In The Works

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

New Pipe and Tubing Cutter In The Works

Post by Joe Jones »

I am developing an awesome pipe and tube cutter. It is currently being designed for the PlasmaCam and Samson 510 CNC plasma tables since those are what I use. However, with just a wee bit of 'Redneck Engineering' it can be adapted to work with ANY CNC plasma table, and perhaps even a laser table. All you would need to do is basically replace the PlasmaCam motor with your stepper motor, and reconfigure the torch mast that makes it all possible.

This cutter will handle any tubing from 1" to 48" in diameter or larger. It will accommodate tubing of virtually ANY length. It will also give you the ability to cut extrusion of various sizes and shapes. for those of you who like to work with ROUTERS, this too, is a possibility with this accessory.

The prototype is coming together slowly, as I await delivery of parts I have ordered. Nothing happens fast now. EVERY DELAY is blamed on "covid." :lol:

I am curious if there would be any interest OUTSIDE of the PlasmaCam CNC family for this device.

Send your inquiries to addmenow (at) mail (dot) com

Joe
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New Pipe and Tubing Cutter In The Works

Post by tcaudle »

Hopefully you are working on making some form of software available for the process. While you can use the old substitute X axis for rotary it presents some issues.
1. As the pipe diameter changes the motor calibration changes. You have to manually retune the motor/axis for each different size
2. Have some form of software the help you design various cuts (i.e. saddle, birds mouth , etc)
3. be able to do multiple cuts on a length of pipe of different types/shapes
I realize you are doing this for a PCAM table because that is what you have but.....
Not sure how you are using a stepper with a PCAM controller. They use servos and the drivers / interface are all internal and proprietary. Break the seal and hack around in their controller and you void the warranty and you can forget help, spare parts, or repair.

Using the X axis as the rotary precludes cutting square or rectangular tubing Having a control and software that will support 5 or more axis of motion makes a big difference in rotary functionality.
On a more open system you have a lot more options. You can use a 5th motor and 4th axis to do not only round but square and rectangular cuts. You can get inexpensive design software that plugs into SheetCAM (Pipefit) and designs the joints for you . You can get the SheetCAM rotary Plasma plug-in that wraps the design around the pipe and does the math for you so you don't have to retune you rotary axis for each size.

There are excellent rotary options available but you have to move away from proprietary closed systems .
https://www.candcnc.net/store-home/rota ... ng-bundle/
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tcaudle wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:35 pm Hopefully you are working on making some form of software available for the process.
No additional software is required. I will show you how to achieve any cut using some fairly simple logic.

The pipe or tube being cut is rotated at a 1:1 ratio to flat material, so there are no changes. For holes trough the wall of a cylinder, you MUST consider wall thickness and the size of the cylinder, but that can be drawn manually with success, fairly easily.

When you move a torch across a flat sheet of material, there is a virtual wheel beneath the torch tip that remains directly below the torch. The diameter of that circle is the vertical measurement from the flat surface to the tip of the torch, perpendicular to the flat surface. Call it six inches.

The wheel rotates on top of the flat sheet, and the TDC (Top Dead Center) or top QUADRANT of the wheel is always beneath the torch tip. There is no change in ratios, and the torch does not know if it is cutting flat material or a round cylinder.

It is true that you cannot draw a 3" diameter circle and expect the torch to compensate for the radius as it cuts from TDC to the left and right quadrants of the circle. Nor can it compensate for the wall thickness of the cylinder being cut. However, drawing the path for that circles isn't rocket science. In fact, I have already made one (or two?) videos on the subject. :Yay

DesignEdge is perfectly capable of allowing an owner to manually draw a circle or a square perpendicular through a tube, or a diagonal circle or square, or rectangle, any other shape. It is absolutely true that creating these cut paths manually is more work. There is no question about that.

However, there are other programs that can be used if the owner does not have the PlasmaCam pipe cutting software upgrade. Google Sketchup and many other programs will allow an owner to create the proper paths through a cylinder, or a coped end either at 90 degrees or at any angle. I BELIEVE there is even a FREE online program that will generate the necessary DXF file for you.

Joe

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tcaudle wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:35 pm Hopefully you are working on making some form of software available for the process. While you can use the old substitute X axis for rotary it presents some issues.
DesignEdge is all that is required. No additional software is needed. Yes, it presents some issues. But they can all be handled easily, via good old fashioned geometry.
1. As the pipe diameter changes the motor calibration changes. You have to manually retune the motor/axis for each different size
Sorry. This is completely unnecessary.
2. Have some form of software the help you design various cuts (i.e. saddle, birds mouth , etc)
Nice to have, but not required. A sample of setting up a cut path on a cylinder is in the video attached to another response in this thread.
No problemo. I can cut a series of matching holes, or spiral them around a cylinder like a spiral staircase, or change the angles, or the size, or the offset of any hole. Basic geometry.
I realize you are doing this for a PCAM table because that is what you have but.....
Not sure how you are using a stepper with a PCAM controller.
I am not using a stepper. I am using a genuine PlasmaCam servo motor.
They use servos and the drivers / interface are all internal and proprietary. Break the seal and hack around in their controller and you void the warranty and you can forget help, spare parts, or repair.
No need to "pop the cherry" of the PlasmaCam controller. You are assuming that the software or the controller must compensate for correct paths wrapped over a cylinder. none of that is true.
Using the X axis as the rotary precludes cutting square or rectangular tubing Having a control and software that will support 5 or more axis of motion makes a big difference in rotary functionality.
Again, a fourth or fifth axis is nice, but completely unnecessary. You have to think outside of the box.
On a more open system you have a lot more options. You can use a 5th motor and 4th axis to do not only round but square and rectangular cuts.
I can do all of them, including angle iron, round and ellipse shaped tubing, oval tubing, rectangular tubing, cuts for 90-degree or angled insertion or through penetration of angle iron, C-channel, and other shapes using the PlasmaCam table. Granted, it is somewhat challenging and time consuming to draw these cut paths, but it CAN be done.
You can get inexpensive design software that plugs into SheetCAM (Pipefit) and designs the joints for you . You can get the SheetCAM rotary Plasma plug-in that wraps the design around the pipe and does the math for you so you don't have to retune you rotary axis for each size.
My cutter does not care what size or thickness of tubing is being cut.
There are excellent rotary options available but you have to move away from proprietary closed systems .
https://www.candcnc.net/store-home/rota ... ng-bundle/
With al due respect, There is more than one way to skin a cat. :HaHa

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

This is a program that will create the DXF cut files without the $2,000.00 PlasmaCam pipe cutting software upgrade .

Joe

https://www.flashcutcnc.com/product/sof ... ideo-modal
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Here is an awesome program for creating the paths!

Joe

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

tcaudle wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:35 pm Hopefully you are working on making some form of software available for the process. While you can use the old substitute X axis for rotary it presents some issues.
Not sure how you are using a stepper with a PCAM controller. They use servos and the drivers / interface are all internal and proprietary. Break the seal and hack around in their controller and you void the warranty and you can forget help, spare parts, or repair.

pipe cutter software.jpg
If Design Edge is required, then I'm not sure how this setup could be used with other non-Plasmacam tables. Could this be used on the Avid CNC or Arclight Dynamics tables?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tcaudle wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:35 pm
This is not necessarily true. There is no "seal" on the controller, and plenty of owners/users have opened up the controller to make repairs such as replacing the keypad - which is available directly from Plasmacam as a replacement part. Opening up the controller does not void the warranty or preclude future help, spare parts, or repair.

David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:58 pm
If Design Edge is required, then I'm not sure how this setup could be used with other non-Plasmacam tables. Could this be used on the Avid CNC or Arclight Dynamics tables?
Yes! It depends entirely on how creative you are. You would replace the PlasmaCam servo motor with your NEMA 23 (?) stepper motor, and create the necessary crane boom arm to relocate the torch to the top dead center of YOUR carriage.

I don't see why this wouldn't work with ANY CNC plasma table.

I got out to the shop today and began making the components out of 14 ga. steel now. I will weld strips of angle iron to the faces to make them rigid. The gussets will keep the sides stiff. I m not ready to release the design or photos, or videos YET. But it is coming together, and I am EXCITED about how this is coming together!

The last needed bearings are arriving on Tuesday, the 21st.

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:02 pm This is not necessarily true. There is no "seal" on the controller, and plenty of owners/users have opened up the controller to make repairs such as replacing the keypad - which is available directly from Plasmacam as a replacement part. Opening up the controller does not void the warranty or preclude future help, spare parts, or repair.

David
Actually David, the key pad is replaced WITHOUT opening the box. There is a tamper rivet in the controller case. When you break THAT rivet to open it up to access the main circuit board inside, you DO void the warranty on the box.

PlasmaCam will let you replace the keypad, but they will NOT let you get into the box itself. Perhaps you should call PlasmaCam to clarify this before telling people to open their controller boxes, which VOIDS their warranty.

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Opening up the controller by removing the keypad does indeed expose the circuit board - but I take tcaudles point.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:10 pm Opening up the controller by removing the keypad does indeed expose the circuit board - but I take tcaudles point.
David
Removing the control panel exposes only the BACK of the circuit board. You cannot access any of the components that PlasmaCam does not want you to %$&^ with. Removing the heat sink destroys the TAMPER RIVET which will cause your box to become WORTHLESS should it break down.

I am good with people trying to help PlasmaCam owners with what they think they know, but BAD ADVICE, and especially BAD ADVICE that will cause owners to possibly incur a $3,000.00 Controller Box replacement Bill MUST be called out. NOT SORRY.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Jones on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:02 pm This is not necessarily true. There is no "seal" on the controller, and plenty of owners/users have opened up the controller to make repairs such as replacing the keypad - which is available directly from Plasmacam as a replacement part. Opening up the controller does not void the warranty or preclude future help, spare parts, or repair.

David
David, YOU ARE WRONG.. The "seal" is the small plastic rivet that is embedded into the heat sink. The only way into the "guts" of the controller box is to break that TAMPER RIVET and THAT VOIDS the warranty on the box,

Joe
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tcaudle wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:35 pm Break the seal and hack around in their controller and you void the warranty and you can forget help, spare parts, or repair.
Exactly correct!

Joe
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Dude….. it’s $500 to get it fixed if it’s broken, not $3000. Yeah it may void the warranty if in the first 3 years but I’ve never had or heard of another owner having to ‘forget help, spare parts, or repair.’ Yes, if you modify they won’t support you with technical help to troubleshoot your customization but they have been helpful for many people regardless. I guess if you go insane and start soldering extra wires inside the controller they might refuse to fix it but I’ve not personally seen or heard of a case where that happened.

No spooky boogeyman. Just use some common sense and you’ll be fine. Just because life gives you a cactus doesn’t mean you have to sit on it.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I will answer your comment tomorrow. I believe you will be surprised by what you learn.

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

rdj357 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:10 am Dude….. it’s $500 to get it fixed if it’s broken, not $3000. Yeah it may void the warranty if in the first 3 years but I’ve never had or heard of another owner having to ‘forget help, spare parts, or repair.’ Yes, if you modify they won’t support you with technical help to troubleshoot your customization but they have been helpful for many people regardless. I guess if you go insane and start soldering extra wires inside the controller they might refuse to fix it but I’ve not personally seen or heard of a case where that happened.

No spooky boogeyman. Just use some common sense and you’ll be fine. Just because life gives you a cactus doesn’t mean you have to sit on it.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I posted several public comments to the Youtube video posted above which were immediately blocked/deleted by the creator. I suppose it is just hard for some folks to accept public criticism - constructive or otherwise, or to admit to themselves that there is the possibility that they may be wrong.
David
Last edited by adbuch on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I'm surprised nobody has figured out what these tamper rivets are and where to get them. I would think they're easily obtainable.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:30 pm I'm surprised nobody has figured out what these tamper rivets are and where to get them. I would think they're easily obtainable.
I agree - but I suppose there is not a great demand for them by Plasmacam users. Or perhaps they are a custom item OEM to Plasmacam. But in any case, I think Robert's explanation above gives us the facts about this. My controllers are all over 5 years old - so out of warranty anyway. I have not had any problems yet, but if I did I certainly wouldn't mind paying the nominal $500 cost to have a controller repaired by the OEM facility.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:10 pm I posted several public comments to the Youtube video posted above which were immediately blocked/deleted by the creator. I suppose it is just hard for some folks to accept public criticism, or to admit to themselves that there is the possibility that they may be wrong.
David
No David. I did not block your comments. I do not block comments. I hold them for review, because I cannot count on people to be MATURE about what they post, and I don't want a lot of profanity and such to appear in the comments. But I do not BLOCK comments. I simply review them before I approve them. In that way, the perverts do not get to post links to porn and so forth.

Even comments that are harsh, or critical of me or my videos, or just fanciful rants ... They ALL get posted. I have not seen ANY comments from you awaiting approval. Post them again. Or post them HERE where I have no power to "block" them as you claim I have. :Like

Nice try.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The bearings from Northern Tool arrived today. The last bearings from Amazon are suppose to arrive tomorrow. Then the fun begins!

I have changed the design a dozen times or more, as I run into things that I don't like, or things that can be improved. I think I have arrived at the final design. I need to build it and test it. Now, the only thing that I am not yet sure about is whether the belt will drive the rollers as round teeth against a flat surface. I may need to go to a 3D printer (a good excuse to buy one :HaHa ) and print flanged belt pulleys with the 3mm pitch indentations and 9mm belt width that will give the belt the grip it needs to be fully engaged into the rollers at the 3" diameter. I can find things that are close, but I want the belt surface to ride just a few thousandths beneath the material, and that tooth count on these pulleys is not "standard."

Joe
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:40 pm
adbuch wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:10 pm I posted several public comments to the Youtube video posted above which were immediately blocked/deleted by the creator. I suppose it is just hard for some folks to accept public criticism, or to admit to themselves that there is the possibility that they may be wrong.
David
No David. I did not block your comments. I do not block comments. I hold them for review, because I cannot count on people to be MATURE about what they post, and I don't want a lot of profanity and such to appear in the comments. But I do not BLOCK comments. I simply review them before I approve them. In that way, the perverts do not get to post links to porn and so forth.

Even comments that are harsh, or critical of me or my videos, or just fanciful rants ... They ALL get posted. I have not seen ANY comments from you awaiting approval. Post them again. Or post them HERE where I have no power to "block" them as you claim I have. :Like

Nice try.

Joe
I will look forward to seeing your reply to Robert's post above. Then maybe edit your video to reflect the actual facts. As they say - "the proof is in the pudding".
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Joe Jones wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:52 am I will answer your comment tomorrow. I believe you will be surprised by what you learn.

Joe
OK - we will wait to tomorrow to see what you come up with. No more "back-peddling" please.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

There is no back peddling. Be patient. :wink: :wink:

Joe

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”