HyperThem PowerMAX 85 VS Torchmate Flexcut 80

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

HyperThem PowerMAX 85 VS Torchmate Flexcut 80

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

Im looking at buying a new machine I sold my old premire plasma and im looking to buy a TorchMate 4800 with a flex cut 80 or a FastCut with a Powermax 85 im wondering what peoples thoughts are they are both about $35,000 USD and im wanting to see what the cut qualities are with people that have each or have had both machines and which they prefer any PROs or CONs?

Thanks in advance. Either im sure is an upgrade from my old thermal dynamics cutmaster52
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HyperThem PowerMAX 85 VS Torchmate Flexcut 80

Post by adbuch »

I use the Powermax 85, but on a Plasmacam table. I can't speak about the tables you are considering, but the Powermax 85 is a great machine. I particularly like the fact that it can use the FineCut consumables for detailed cutting on thinner materials.
David
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

adbuch wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:30 pm I use the Powermax 85, but on a Plasmacam table. I can't speak about the tables you are considering, but the Powermax 85 is a great machine. I particularly like the fact that it can use the FineCut consumables for detailed cutting on thinner materials.
David

I saw that fine cut stuff is nice on smaller material thicknesses. does it seem like the tips last when cutting thicker material? hows the curf? how much do you have to over size a hole to make the said bolt fit? whats the cut quality like? have you cut 1/2 or 3/4 material on your set up?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The Hypertherm Duramax FineCut consumables are used for material thickness 10 ga. and thinner. The FineCuts wouldn't be used on the thicker materials. In general, the "tips" (consumables) will last longer when using digital torch height control with the Z shift and arc voltage shift properly calibrated. The Plasmacam has the capability to auto-calibrate, I can't speak for the other tables. Hypertherm provides mechanized cut charts for steel, stainless steel, and aluminum - the best cut quality and longest consumable life will generally be achieved when using the proper values for cut height, pierce height, cut speed, time to pierce delay, and amp settings specified in these cut charts for the material and material thickness being cut.

Hypertherm also provides a kerf width chart as shown below. These are estimated values. For critical applications it is best to measure the actual kerf width on a test cut.
Hypertherm 65-85 estimated kerf width.jpg
In general plasma cut holes will have some taper and the hole size (as drawn) will need to be adjusted accordingly. Here is some information provided by Hypertherm plasma cut hole quality.

David

https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/suppor ... e-quality/
Hypertherm hole quality tips.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

PlasmaWorx.com wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:38 pm
how much do you have to over size a hole to make the said bolt fit? whats the cut quality like?
I generally cut a test hole and measure, then either adjust my kerf width setting in the software or adjust the hole diameter dimension on the drawing in order to achieve a good fit with the bolt. The cut quality can be quite good with the proper consumables and settings. In general, the cut speed will need to be greatly reduced when cutting holes. One scenario is to cut all the holes first at a slow speed, and then cut the remainder of the parts at normal speed.
have you cut 1/2 or 3/4 material on your set up?
The Powermax 85 is rated to cut steel up to 1 1/4" in thickness. The thickest I generally cut is 1/2" and the cut quality is quite good. The key with the thicker material is to slow down in the corners and tight curves. My software will do this automatically. My personal opinion is that the Hypertherm series of plasma cutters - 45xp, 65, 85, 105, 125 - are pretty much the "gold standard" of plasma cutters, particularly for cnc plasma cutting. I will tell you that I have many precision parts cnc laser cut by a local vendor, and the edge quality of many of the parts I cut with my Powermax 85 looks pretty much the same as the laser cut edges.

David
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

adbuch wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:31 am
how much do you have to over size a hole to make the said bolt fit? whats the cut quality like?
I generally cut a test hole and measure, then either adjust my kerf width setting in the software or adjust the hole diameter dimension on the drawing in order to achieve a good fit with the bolt. The cut quality can be quite good with the proper consumables and settings. In general, the cut speed will need to be greatly reduced when cutting holes. One scenario is to cut all the holes first at a slow speed, and then cut the remainder of the parts at normal speed.
have you cut 1/2 or 3/4 material on your set up?
The Powermax 85 is rated to cut steel up to 1 1/4" in thickness. The thickest I generally cut is 1/2" and the cut quality is quite good. The key with the thicker material is to slow down in the corners and tight curves. My software will do this automatically. My personal opinion is that the Hypertherm series of plasma cutters - 45xp, 65, 85, 105, 125 - are pretty much the "gold standard" of plasma cutters, particularly for cnc plasma cutting. I will tell you that I have many precision parts cnc laser cut by a local vendor, and the edge quality of many of the parts I cut with my Powermax 85 looks pretty much the same as the laser cut edges.

David
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about getting the torchmate 4800 or the STV with a hypertherm XP85. I'm really unsure about the Lincoln flexcut 80 I don't find much good or bad about them. the hypertherm I have read a lot of good things about but torchmate only sells there system as a whole. and I'm kind of on the Lincoln plan as i know they wont be going anywhere for a long long while, but I wish I could get the torchmate with a hypertherm option.

The big thing that made me stop was the flex cut doesn't have a digital read out on the machine for voltage. The problem I have with the cost of the machine and not being able to fine tune the voltage for a specific cut. I feel that at this price point when I turn the dial I should be able to see exactly where I am adjusting to. I would have been less set off if it had a digital read out. I know its petty and prolly doesn't make much of a difference... But when going form a $9,000 machine to a $37,000 but the plasma seems like last weeks technology [if you get what I'm saying]
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

adbuch wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:16 am The Hypertherm Duramax FineCut consumables are used for material thickness 10 ga. and thinner. The FineCuts wouldn't be used on the thicker materials. In general, the "tips" (consumables) will last longer when using digital torch height control with the Z shift and arc voltage shift properly calibrated. The Plasmacam has the capability to auto-calibrate, I can't speak for the other tables. Hypertherm provides mechanized cut charts for steel, stainless steel, and aluminum - the best cut quality and longest consumable life will generally be achieved when using the proper values for cut height, pierce height, cut speed, time to pierce delay, and amp settings specified in these cut charts for the material and material thickness being cut.

Hypertherm also provides a kerf width chart as shown below. These are estimated values. For critical applications it is best to measure the actual kerf width on a test cut.

Hypertherm 65-85 estimated kerf width.jpg

In general plasma cut holes will have some taper and the hole size (as drawn) will need to be adjusted accordingly. Here is some information provided by Hypertherm plasma cut hole quality.

David

https://www.hypertherm.com/en-US/suppor ... e-quality/

Hypertherm hole quality tips.jpg
I saw that in the Manuals on both the FlexCut and the Hypertherm. On paper they seem very comparable in both cut capacity as well as [mechanized]cut speed. I'm aware of adjusting the size to accommodate the kerf. I'm just curious on my Cutmaster52 anything above .125 [1/8] sheet caused a beveled edge on 1 side and I would always have to adjust the whole size to correct the actual size or I would [more then not] have to drill the wholes after with a drill bit but that would also not leave the wholes centered as the beveled edge would only be on one side. I know that there's no way to get rid of all bevel because the way that plasma cuts I was hoping to achieve more accurate wholes. I was using sheetcam and in sheet cam i made a corner/radius rule to slow down to 25% travel speed .25in before and after anything smaller then 1/2inch.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

We (Star Lab CNC) outfitted a Star Lab with the 80 amp brand you mentioned. It had a delay in actually firing from when the torch fire signal was sent. It was a much longer delay than a simple relay being triggered like when using a Hypertherm 85. The cut quality was surprisingly good however the 85 did have a better edge. Have you looked around at other brands? You know you can get a ton of capability for your money with a Star Lab for far less. In fact you can get the fastest CNC plasma table (Supercharged servo Star Lab) with a a Hypertherm and save thousands.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

One word about the difference
RS485
its a direct communication port you can get on any Hypertherm Powermax that lets you do settings FROM software/console and dynamically change cut current (amps) and air pressure (PSI). Allows "soft Pierce ' and increases consumable life on thicker cuts . Lets you do "center peck" on holes. Auto changes your cut current with no know twisting. Lincoln makes really good welders ....about all I can say. Chose your control and software carefully . look at features and future options . Torchmate does not support RS485 remote access. With your Premier you have had a taste of basic cutting ....hobby level quality. For the kind of money you are looking to spend you should expect to have a high level of automation and accuracy in the motion .
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

BTA Plasma wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:53 pm We (Star Lab CNC) outfitted a Star Lab with the 80 amp brand you mentioned. It had a delay in actually firing from when the torch fire signal was sent. It was a much longer delay than a simple relay being triggered like when using a Hypertherm 85. The cut quality was surprisingly good however the 85 did have a better edge. Have you looked around at other brands? You know you can get a ton of capability for your money with a Star Lab for far less. In fact you can get the fastest CNC plasma table (Supercharged servo Star Lab) with a a Hypertherm and save thousands.
This is very good information to know for future reference. Thanks for sharing.
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

They have both been around for decades but between those 2 choices it would be an easy decision for me. A company recently purchased by a heartless major corporation with an inferior plasma cutter or a long standing manufacturer with personal service who knows their customers and care with a superior Hypertherm plasma...FastCut + Hypertherm would be my choice hands down.
PlasmaWorx.com
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaWorx.com »

Okay sorry for the long delay. So I ended up with a TorchMate and not that I regret my decision but I'm not thrilled with the cut quality. I would put it on par with my old PREMIRE PLASMA and Radnor CutMaster 52 but for 5x the price. Now this is probably user error as there is a lot more settings I can change like THC [Arc Voltage etc.] and the cut speeds I use to guess and just deal with dross and clean up after. This new machine does have less dross and a speed sheet for the given thickness of material which probably helps a ton. The issue that I have is the bevel is exactly the same as my old set up. I'm thinking it has to be the Arch Voltage setting is what's causing it. Otherwise I may be selling the FlexCut and adapting over a Hypertherm can anyone confirm that there is very little bevel on 3/16 hole cuts using a hypertherm and on what settings [Speed/ArcV/Clockwise or counter for the cut?]

Thanks in advance.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

How much bevel are you getting. Perhaps post some photos of your cuts. Are you asking about holes in 3/16" thick material, or 3/16" diameter holes in some other thickness?
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Are you seeing bevel on just holes or even on straight cuts?

Can you post pics?

I am sure this can be resolved fairly easily.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”