CNC Cabinet power up control

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

CNC Cabinet power up control

Post by ChrisO »

I am working on retrofitting an old plasma machine, however because the table is 24' long, were converting 1/2 of it to a router table. ( plasma/router table) I am working on the details of how when power is turned on to the CNC cabinet, what gets energized and when. In the attached shows a On/Off circuit that basically turns on the cabinets fan and the CNC Controller only. Once the Controller is up, it energizes the motors. Is this the correct way to do this? I would greatly appreciate any advise you have to offer.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CNC Cabinet power up control

Post by adbuch »

I think this circuit is probably fine, but we need to know more information about the relay to confirm. I assume this is a "Latching Relay". Do you have a part number for the relay?
David
What is a Latching Relay.jpg

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Your start, stop and relay wiring is correct. A standard relay will do what you need. The start will energize the relay and the stop will deenergize it.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:46 pm Your start, stop and relay wiring is correct. A standard relay will do what you need. The start will energize the relay and the stop will deenergize it.
Upon closer examination, I agree. The top portion of the relay is wired as "self-latching" and controls the bottom portion of the relay - which either turns the power on or off to the cooling fan and power supply.
David
ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ChrisO »

Thank you for confirming this is wired properly. (I intend to use Veris VMD2B-F120A Relay) I am concerned that when turned on, only the CNC controller is powered. It is not until the Estop circuit from the Controller is energized, that the AC Motor Drives and the VFD is powered. Is this "normal" ? Is this a common method of controlling the Drives/motors? Sorry I have no experience in a motors operational control, and don't know if I need to have more control over the Drives and motors power. For example, to tune the AC Servo Drives/Motors....or perhaps something else I dont know about...Thanks for your interest..
Chris Orwig
Mach4 Hobby
Vital Systems Hicon 7866 w/ 77ISO bd and ArcPro Plasma Profile
DYN4 DYN4-H01A2-00 AC SERVO /DMM 750 Watt NEMA 34
Thermal Dynamics Pak Master XL100 w/ floating head Torch
Retrofit Table: 6’x24’ linear rail and belt. Water Table
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ChrisO wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:22 am Thank you for confirming this is wired properly. (I intend to use Veris VMD2B-F120A Relay) I am concerned that when turned on, only the CNC controller is powered. It is not until the Estop circuit from the Controller is energized, that the AC Motor Drives and the VFD is powered. Is this "normal" ? Is this a common method of controlling the Drives/motors? Sorry I have no experience in a motors operational control, and don't know if I need to have more control over the Drives and motors power. For example, to tune the AC Servo Drives/Motors....or perhaps something else I dont know about...Thanks for your interest..
Yes Chris - this is one method that would be considered "normal" for implementing the E-stop. With the E-stop switch in the normal (un-activated) position the E-stop switch circuit is closed and power is supplied to the motors and drives. In the case of an emergency (hence the term "E-Stop") you would push the E-stop switch to disable the motors and drives. My large cnc machining centers and turning center all have E-stop switches which function in a similar manner. So does my manual lathe, Avid cnc router, and several other of my cnc machines. The Plasmacam DHC2 controller has the equivalent as well.

Under normal operation, your E-stop switch would be un-activated and your servo drives/motors would be powered so you can tune, etc.

David
DHC2 E stop switch.jpg

rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rbmgf7 »

In industry, this would be something like an MCR or Master Control Relay or Master Circuit.

It's to protect the machine in the event of a power loss. If the power drops, the circuit unlatches.
ChrisO
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ChrisO »

Your confirmation on the basic power design is greatly appreciated, Thankyou. I'll continue to draw up the remaining details.
Chris Orwig
Mach4 Hobby
Vital Systems Hicon 7866 w/ 77ISO bd and ArcPro Plasma Profile
DYN4 DYN4-H01A2-00 AC SERVO /DMM 750 Watt NEMA 34
Thermal Dynamics Pak Master XL100 w/ floating head Torch
Retrofit Table: 6’x24’ linear rail and belt. Water Table
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Keep us posted on your progress Chris. It sounds like you are off to a great start!
David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”